+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: left handed scissors

Default left handed scissors

Does anyone know where I can get left handed scissors?

Brian-

Try this link [url=http://thelefthand.com/lefdovmansci.html:7d42b]http://thelefthand.com/lefdovmansci.html[/url:7d42b] The scissors that I use have large finger holes and are straight. They can be used by lefties or righties. Good luck

I'll bite. What's the difference?

Allan

Allan,
    Do you suppose it's the same difference as in a left handed monkey wrench?

Allan, tie up a dry fly, all except trimming the hackle and thread at the head.... turn your vise around so you are looking at the back of the fly.
    Now, trim the excess at the head. Note the difference in how the scissors reach into the materials. Pay particular interest to the position of the blades, which is now opposite to what it was previously.
    It is a small but important thing in fly dressing - much more important in cutting sheet metal, where the 'handedness' of the snips make the offcut rise to the right with right hand snips and rise left with a left-handed pair.
    You cannot cut a curve to the left with right-handers. There are also straight snips.

Not everyone has heard of this, I have had some very strange looks in motor spares shops.. assistants checking to see whether it is April 1
    Polka dot paint is harder to find.

;?}

Hope that helps,
    all the best
    Roy

Roy,

I'm not about to try that examination. I'd suggest to LHB to simply 'deal with it'. All the scissors I have are neutral.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 07 April 2005).]

Allan,
    My wife & youngest daughter are lefties. I NEVER knew it before, but if we all use the same scissors, they are dull & useless in a hurry! I know it seems wierd, but it's true. I never let them use any of my scissors anymore...I hide 'em!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

lefthandedbrain,

I too am a lefty. I have become ambidextrous because certain tools aren't readily avaialable. So, it's easier to 'learn' to do it righthanded. Having said that, here is a site for left-handed scissors - [url=http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/manicure_scissors.html:70a70]http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/manicure_scissors.html[/url:70a70]

Okay. I'm an idiot but I just don't see the difference. Someone please explain.

Allan

Allan,

I'm not left handed but I'll attempt to explain. Pick up a pair of scissors. Notice that the blade your thumb operates is away from your palm. Notice that a normal cutting motion tends to push the blades against each other. Now switch to your left hand. Notice that the same motion tends to push the blades away from each other. This is easier to see with a pair that is a little loose. Left handed scissors are the opposite.

Ok lefty's did I get it right?

Jay

+ Reply to Thread