+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rod carriers

Default rod carriers

Has anyone ever used one of those magenetic rod carriers that mounts to the hood and roof of your vehicle? You just strap the rod to it and go. Does the rod being exposed like that allow it to be hit by road debris, or are the chances of something like that happening slim? I can't remember the last time something struck the hood of my van. I'm also curious about the rack that mounts to the inside of the vehicle. The one that holds the rod close to the roof. It looks like the rod tip is bent against the windshield. Is that bad for the rod? I'd like one of the fully enclosed roof top models, but they are expensive. I'm looking for something cheaper to carry a fully rigged rod. Or, I could just make one myself. Any thoughts/opinions/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

------------------
    dw

'Don't know, what you don't know.'

Hey dw,

I have the magnetic carrier and love it. I have not used it for long trips but have used it for 30-45 min trips at normal highway speeds without incident. Just make sure that there is no grit on the magnets or it might scratch the hood. This hasn't happened to me however. I have a Landcruiser and a 9ft rod fits but needs to extend up and bend down somewhat at the windshield. I prefer the magnetic carrier.

Regardfs,
    Keith

------------------
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." Kermit the Frog

Hi DW,
    I have a real serious problem with my gear being outside the car when I am enroute to a fishing spot so, I opted to purchase the Rod Loft Pro (see Cabelas p.50). I have used it for an entire season last year and find that it works very well for me. I do believe that road dust can creep/get windblown into reel gears and affect lines that are spooled onto the reels and additionally, any pieces of gravel or pebbles that hit a rod and create even a small nick in the surface will compromise the rod. I just don't think it is worth the chance with expensive gear..... Just my two cents worth on this matter.

I too opted for the in-car rod carrier. In my Explorer the rod tips do indeed bend slightly down the windshield, but they are bent down at such an angle from being against the visors that they dont actually touch the window at all. Is this bad? Heck no! Rods were made to be bent! Having my rod on the outside of the car had me worried about debris, as well as things like stopping at the gas station and having someone walk off with my rods while i went to pay.

I would spend the extra money like gerri did on the Rod Loft Pro. I opted for the cheaper version, the Rod Ready SUV fishing rack, and it didn't do a very good job. The only mounting option in the back of my explorer was for suction cups on the side windows, and they constantly fell off. I'll be going with a rod loft pro once I return this one.

A few years
    ago I found an overhead rod carrier at Gander Mountian for $9.95. The front strap was loops that mounted between the "Clothes Hangers" just behind the front seats. The back rear hanger was velcro loops to hold the butt ends. Had to drill holes in the roof to mount them!! Old beater so why not!! For 2 peice rods it was great!! 8' + rods bent a little. Drop the tailgate get out your gear than select the rod you wanted from the overhead. Just had to watch the guides when removing it so you didn't bend them. Sold the truck with the rod carrier, dumb, dumb and dumb!!
    I spend a lot of time "Lost In The Woods" so I don't think I would use an "Outside Rod Holder". On the other hand If I knew where I was going I'd love it!!

------------------
    Cactus

I have the RodLoft Pro also and works pretty well. Would like it better if the rear holders actually held the rods, but they usually fall onto the "safety" strap.
    I do have the front one mounted upside down. It keeps the rod tips up put of the way.

When I saw these on someone elses car, he complained of the same problem as Tim: that the C faces down so the rods drop onto the strap. Is it possible to mount them upside down using the suction caps so that the C points up? I would have thought that the manufacturers could make it so that you turn the inserts to lock the rods in?

There is a knob that tightens down on the crossbar, but doesn't hold real tight and probably isn't meant to anyway.
    I haven't mounted the rear piece upside down because it puts the rear too low in the back for me.

I build rods, and from my stand point, I would not take the chance on leaving a rod on the outside of my vehicle if it facing the windshield, on top of your vehicle is allot safer. all you need is just one pebble to hit your fly rod, (remember it's a high module graphite) and the next time you use it would proberly be your last. As far as inside your vehicle, having your rod tip bent for some time is not good for the blank, try to lay your second seat down if you have an SUV, and make a low rack for your rod. At worst you have to break it down and set it up when your ready to fish. Keeping your expensive equipment safe is worth the few extra minutes. thank you for your time and Happy Fishing.

------------------
    Tight Lines to All, Paco
    ~~~<*}}}>><<

+ Reply to Thread