+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying bobbin

Default Tying bobbin

Hey Y'all,
    A guy asked me yesterday if I knew anything about and where he could get one if they are avaiable. He was looking for a bobbin that will hold regular sewing thread spools. Not the type that most tying thread comes on. He has thread on long or tall spools. I know what he means but can't describe it very well. The spools are about 2-2 1/2 inches tall, too tall to put into a conventional bobbin.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thx,
    xfc

A company by the name of Kreinik makes one that is 1 7/8 inches wide. They sent me one some time ago to try out along with some of there thread. The measurement that I gave above is the width of a spool of the thread so the Bobbin is wider. Ron

Lots of high quality sewing thread comes on a long spool about the size of a tube of lip balm, it doesn't fit into a standard bobbin.

I solved the problem by loading the thread onto a sewing machine bobbin (the metal type about 3/8" thick and the diameter of a quarter) By bending the legs of a standard fly tiers bobbin I am able to use these smaller spools.

They are particulaly nice for my travel kit, as I can now fit 3-4 colors in the space it took for one standard spool.

Not sure I understand. By any chance are you talking about the failed Gudebrod spools? The company had a special bobbin for it.

Allan

Thank you for your answers. The guy who was asking said that his wife did a lot of sewing and he has collected a number of spools of thread that he is using for tying. He said that he had a plastic bobbin that will work but the spool tension has started to loosen. He had been told that there was a metal bobbin. He was not told who made them or even if they were for fly tying.

Tyeflies: I don't know what the gudebrod spools looked like. I will do some searching on the web at the gudebrod site if they have one and also through old magazines for an ad.

Thanks again for all the help. You all are a great source of help.
    JC - I really enjoy the whole Bulletin Board many thanks to you.
    xfc

+ Reply to Thread