+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing fish with microjigs

Default Losing fish with microjigs

I recently tied some jig-a-buggers on 1/8 oz. jigs. The flies worked extremely well, however, I lost a much higher percentage of fish than usual. Does anyone have any suggestions on either choice of jigs or tying technique to help me keep more fish on. BTW, I smashed down the barbs on the jigs as I do on all my flies.

Alex...

My favorite fly is the jig... I have use them for almost 7 years now... I do a fair job on them...

But you said you used a size 1/8oz... I use 1/64 down to a 1/180...
    I havent used a big one like you are talking about... but on the small one if you take the point of the hook and angle it out just a bit... the hook up is a little better...

I did write 1/8 oz. Try casting that on a 3 wt. I meant 1/80 oz.

The bending idea sounds good. Thanks.

hey Alex... I would like to see your jigs...

How do you feel about an exchange???

BTW..I just thought of this, havent done it.. but..

what if you took the hook and bent it left or right.. where it isnt so even with the hook eye.. what do you think?

Leonard,

Check your email.

Hello- what a great bunch of people on here, you people amass me, a fly forum that you can talk about jigs on .Any way, I fish steelheads a lot with 1/80 oz jigs. I also crimp barb down and bend hook out a little bit, works good for me to.
    John
    Fish like predator.

Okay, now you've gone and done it. You've opened up Pandora's box.

What's the difference between a jig and a bead head fly other than the shape of the hook? IMHO, they are the same. The verbage is just another way for fly fishers to disassociate themselves from spin or bait fishers. Same is true of the word 'indicator' as opposed to 'bobber'. It's simply a way fly fishers have to distinguish themselves from a term used in another form of fishing.

If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... it's a duck!

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 13 April 2005).]

Tyeflies,

Please, this is a fly-fishing board.
    If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...
    then it is clearly a waterfowl, probably in the Anas genus. Most common locally is Anas platyrhynchos, but we cannot rule out Aix sponsa.

There now that sounds like fly-fishers.

Lux

[This message has been edited by fishlux (edited 13 April 2005).]

well if you took a 1/180 oz jig and put it on a spinning rod.. you may cast it 3 feet.. and that with 2lb test... on a fly rod you can get it out where you want it...

I tied up some of these for one of the current swaps (swap's not completed yet but my jigflies have been sent). The picture's not mine...it's where I got the recipe from though.

[url=http://www.theeagleftp.com/flys/jigfly/photos/jigflygroup.jpg:50204]http://www.theeagleftp.com/flys/jigfly/photos/jigflygroup.jpg[/url:50204]

I also have some on a smaller hook with a 1" very tiny grub body...looks like a sure thing for Blue Gill and a lot easier to cast on a fly rod than an ultra light spin rod...can get much further out than just flipping would allow.

+ Reply to Thread