+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jig hook sizes

Default jig hook sizes

I purchased #14 brand XX jig hook and found that the hook size is closer to #12-10. Different manufacturers will vary somewhat in their comparable hook sizes but is this especially true for jig hooks?

I believe the "competition" style jig hooks are a little extra long. These hooks also have an extra wide gape. The shank length and gape are extra long compared to the manufacturers specified hook size. So, for example, my #12 competition style hooks tie a fly that is about the same size and has about the same gape as a #10 TMC 3769.

These hooks are also typically completely barbless which I dislike as I loose trailers tied to the bend of the jig hook. I've heard and believe that a TMC 3769 with a tungsten bead will ride hook point up just like a jig hook. So I've gone back to the TMC 3769 for my tungsten bead competition style nymphs.

Considering that if I compared two #10 standard length dry fly hooks from too different manufacturers, I'm likely to have different lengths/gape, etc., you should not be surprised by this, especially with 'specialty' hooks like jig hooks. Just use the same drill you would for any other hook style, i.e. find the size and the manufacturer you like and buy according to what you prefer.

Even from the same manufacturer there are differences between hooks styles in sizing. For example a Tiemco 8089 size 10 (which is about the same size as a Mustard 3407) is much bigger than a Tiemco 100 size 10

+ Reply to Thread