+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whip finisher or Ball point penn

Default Whip finisher or Ball point penn

What is the difference in the two.By that I mean, by wrapping the string around the penn base three times is that not the same thing?(as a whip finisher). would like your opinion.

Thanks, john
    Fish like predator.

John,

A whip finish with 3 turns puts the tag of the thread under 3 adjacent turns. If you place 3 half hitches, of ball pen, you get the tag under 1 turn 3 times. With the whip finish the tag is more secure and protected.

I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Allan

I am in complete agreement with tyflies. With a half-hitch, the main reason for taking a few turns around the tool is that it does (IMHO) help tighten the knot; however, the fact remains that the tag is under only one turn of thread.

Personally, I use a whip-knot where ever possible. I use the half-hitch tool it seems to me only when tying off a parachute fly as it is a bit easier (for me) to slide the knot around the shank and under the protruding hackle.

(I think tyeflies means that if you place three wraps around the half-hitch tool (I don't think he means if you make 3 half-hitches) you get only the first wrap over the tag)

------------------
    Peter F [url=http://www.fishingwithflies.com:47d32]www.fishingwithflies.com[/url:47d32]
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Peter F (edited 13 April 2005).]

Thanks for reply, I always wondered about that. John
    Fish like predator.

I will add a half hitch when changing materials on a pattern. When I am done tying the fly I use about 3-4 wraps with a whip finisher. I have yet to have a whip finished fly fall apart, can't say the same for single consecutive half-hitch flies though.

------------------
    Let it go and let it grow.

JAd,

Learn to whip finish, and half hitch by hand.

There are some good videos on this, it is a little tough to learn but will make you much faster (don't have to pick up a tool).

I also feel that I can control thread placement much better when whip finishing by hand.

tightlines
    baldmidge

Blog Entries

my fingernails snag too much for me to whip finish by hand, thats the main reason I use a tool. That and some superglue and it ain't goin' nowhere

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:cb3a7]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:cb3a7]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

I like the whip finish, probably because it's automatic by now. A three turn whip finish takes about a second, and is so secure you don't need to glue the head on dry flies for fishing. I've fished a lot of dries over the years, and they never come apart, and I rarely do more than a 3 turn whip finish. Of course, I lose them in trees and in fish long before they really have much of a chance to come apart, but it really does seem very secure.
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread