+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap, but good Fly tying kit?

Default Cheap, but good Fly tying kit?

Hi all,
    I am looking for a cheap, but good begginers fly tying kit for my brother, but im only 16 so funds are somewhat limited, any recomendations? I was thinking maybe a Skyomish Kit at Wal-Mart, would this work to get him started?
    - Thanks for any recomendations, David

David, I applaud your desire to help your brother get into tying. You might take a look at the Wapsi from Cabela's.
    [url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20532&navAction=jump&navCount= 1&parentId=cat20431&parentType=category&cmCat=Main Catcat20431:4c616]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20532&navAction=jump&navCount= 1&parentId=cat20431&parentType=category&cmCat=Main Catcat20431[/url:4c616]

Good luck!

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 10 April 2005).]

I have not personally seen this one, but I've had some good reports on the Wapsi Tying Kit.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I teach a fly tying class and one of my students wanted a fly tying kit. I did a lot of research for him and the best deal that I could come up with was putting one together yourself. I put together a 17 piece kit, complete with all necessary tools (if you buy a premade kit, you get tools that you have to replace or that you just don't use), 200 hooks, hackle, thread, dubbing, chenille, calf tail, and flashabou for $68. I purchased the "kit" through Hook and Hackle and received a 20% discount. I suggest putting a kit together yourself - that way you get exactly what you want.

We got my buddy that Wapsi kit. All good quality stuff for a beginner. The neat thing is that the book and materials work in concert. The kit provides the proper material and hooks to tie a dozen each of the ten flies in the instructional book. This is a far superior approach to most of the beginner kits on the market, just a box of stuff. A person can tie their way through the kit, have 10 dozen flies with some materials and tools left over for $50. If the newbie decides that they want to continue, they can fill in with other materials, many of which could come from friends lifetime supplies.

Blog Entries

Al Campbells advice in flyfishing basics has excellent ideas for putting together a flytying basic kit for the beginner .
    I followed it when I started tying and found it to be very good advice .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have the Wapsi kit and like it. Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of that it did not have, that I thought it should have had, is a hair packer.

Respectfully,

Dave

Cabelas had one for 29.00 bucks marked down to 19.00 buck but I think it was last month look in the bargin basement or there closeout section which ever it's called . Later Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

The kit that I put together for my student included the following items. Remember this is for a beginner who lives in an area where most fishing is in lakes and reservoirs for trout.

AA Vise, Standard Spring Wire Bobbin, Rotating Whip finisher, Bobbin threader, Standard 3" scissors, 100 Mustad 94840 size 8 hooks, 100 Mustad 94840 size 10 hooks, white calf tail, medium yellow chenille, medium bblack chenille, Keough 1/2 cape Black Tier's C grade, Keough 1/2 cape grizzley tier's C grade, blended black rabbit dubbing in black and brown, Danville 6/0 black thread, peacock flasbabou, and pearl flashabou. I'll also be giving him copper wire and a patch of deer hide that I have an excess of. The kit cost the boy 68, plus 3.95 for shipping which was $71.95. He is getting everything that he needs to be able to tie nymphs and dry flies for this area. The only thing that I forgot to include was black and olive marabou - whichhe can purchase on his own for a few dollars here in town.

+ Reply to Thread