+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Fly Tying Symposium

Hybrid View

Default 2017 Fly Tying Symposium

I'm done!
    Never again will I dole out anther dollar to the Fly Tying Symposium and lackluster producer Chuck Furmisky.
    That's it bub...you got your last buck from me.
    You can add the FTS to the long list of events that have long since served their purpose and exist nowadays only to separate you from your money.
    I knew it was over when the first booth I stopped at was sloppy disorganized hackle vendor whose merchandise was so old and manhandled the chickens wouldn't want the feathers back.
    I've attended the FTS for more than 10 years...making the trip to NJ faithfully each year in the hopes of seeing/learning some new things...perhaps meeting up with some old friends and picking up a deal or two on supplies.
    Now here's what you get....
    Disinterested vendors hawking old - third quality material at full retail prices
    No friends to meet as they won't waster their money anymore
    Two maybe three full service vendors all selling the exact same stuff at the exact same prices.
    Worn out booths and displays staffed by the most disinterested unfriendly group of mopes I ever seen in one place at one time...
    Can fly tying really be so disagreeable?
    Even your fly Tyers's (most of which are excellent and do their best to reach out to guests) are busy hawking their latest book (no discount) or video or tying material.
    Featured Tyers's...tying the same fly year after year...Nice imagination CHUCK!
    Must be busy counting money instead of paying attention to detail (that's a free tip form me CHUCK...Attention to detail is the key to business success)
    One booth made famous by the owner's brand named materials hired a couple kids to man the booth. I felt sorry for the poor kids who didn't know a hook from a hackle.
    Shame on you CHUCK!
    All the red jackets and childish sneakers will not make up for lousy worn out repetitive show defined by worn out presentations and underwhelming personalities.
    Now that AK and Gerirach and Lefty and others are too old (or smart) to support your show...where are the next generation stars?
    After seeing the forum you offer...it's no wonder they won't participate
    Let me let you in on something...quality brings quality (That's another tip CHUCK)
    Who, of the top line fly tying personalities/vendors, would want their good name associated with this dog.
    Where's the quality control?
    Has it ever occurred to you to rquire your presenters to change or at least update their presentations every so often. I've seen the same presentations by the same people year after year on your marquee...Shame on you
    How about requiring your vendors to bring up to date quality materials
    How about asking each to make sure a certain percentage of their materials are offered at "special show prices"...want to increase your gate...try marketing that instead of some tweed clad octangenarian droning on about he still ties flies with 30 year old India hackle...YEESH! (Which, by the way, you can find plenty of at your show...if you can make it through the moth ball fumes)
    So when your counting your money up at Seven Springs and laughing about the increased profitability of Lancaster over Sommersett...How about you think about your customers...tighten up the reigns and put some creative energy and attention to detail back into your show
    Who knows...people might even come back
    Adios CHUCK

So I take it you did not have a good time..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

The few (very) that I have attended seemed to all be as you described. Occasionally a new vendor and sometimes a "luminary",Lefty, once, would appear but for the most part same old same old. Other than the vendors, I could not understand opting for THREE days of them.
    BY the way, these were flyfishing shows and not exclusively tying symposiums.

Mark

Just to add some perspective - I saw where this guy made the same post on the PA Fly Fishing forum. The initial couple of replies to his post there were very different from his, and those guys seemed to enjoy it very much.

I won't be as critical as the OP

but..... this was my second fly tying symposium. The first was last year when it was still in Jersey. My opinion...., last years was pretty good. I saw and spoke to more "names" last year, there was more of a selection of "wares" for sale to look thru and the convention center venue seemed bigger to me. This year was way worse.

The lighting was absolutely terrible! Small overhead mood lighting, great ambiance for a romantic ballroom but not for picking out hackle. I was wishing I had brought my streamlight flashlight. I did see one guy using his iPhone flashlight trying to determine the color of something.

Although they advertised this venue as the "perfect size" with "more amenities", it seemed like there was more aisle room last year and this year there were still guys tying at tables out in the hallway.

Amenities? Granted, the food selection at the Jersey convention center was "mall food" poor but I didn't see any food vendors at all at the Marriott. Although there was what looked to be free ice water as you entered the "tying room".

One positive...., I got lucky with some fairly close by on street parking.

If the show stays in Lancaster, this was my last year also. When it was in Jersey it was a bearable 2 hour ride and I would probably continue to attend even if it was a marginal event, but this year it was 4 hours, and if it were not for wanting to stop at Lancaster Archery, I would not have gone at all.

They're holding the 2018 fly fishing show (January 26,27,2 in Edison, NJ

http://flyfishingshow.com/edison-nj/

wonder why the FTS didn't hook up with them.

Kmichael, tell us how you REALLY feel !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Just to add some perspective - I saw where this guy made the same post on the PA Fly Fishing forum. The initial couple of replies to his post there were very different from his, and those guys seemed to enjoy it very much.
    Yes, since this seems to be getting spammed all over the place, here's the reply I made on PAFF:

I, on the other hand, thought the show excellent. The only disappointment was the fact that Charlie Collins was a no show. I was looking forward to picking up a few hen sets.

Robert Smith's talk was worth trip in itself. His tying demo was a bonus. (As was getting to talk to tctrout for a few minutes.)

I'm sure Charlie Craven was a big draw for many people; he's a talented instructor, even though I'm not greatly fond of the types of patterns that he ties.

I only caught the last few minutes of the live "bugs" talk, but it made me wish I had seen the whole thing.

The amount of soft hackle materials seems to get larger each year. I was surprised at the number of vendors that now carry English red grouse, for example.

I came up to stay the night before; I wish I had booked the room for Saturday night instead and stayed for the Sunday show as well.

The only gripes I had were the lack of a printed agenda, and the venue. The actual room isn't bad, but I wish it were held in some place with parking (and a snack bar.)

As usual, I spent way too much money, but that's my fault.
    Bob

2 sides to everything. Curious to know what types of Charlie's flies you don't like.

Blog Entries

If I had a 'Bucket List', which I don't, I would have the Sow Bug event right near the top. I hear it is a great event.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Yes, since this seems to be getting spammed all over the place, here's the reply I made on PAFF:
    The availability of red grouse is interesting... I would like to know where it is coming from. It is actually the State Bird of Alaska and very readily available.

I tie a lot of soft hackles with it every year.

+ Reply to Thread