+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FOTW Foam...

1. Default FOTW Foam...

I was wondering where I could replentish my stock of semi-translucent foam such as that...I use it for Oliver Edwards' Emerging Dun and have none left. I know it is packing foam but I have not found any...

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

2. Default

I found some foam that looks similar at my supermarket. It was in the produce section, wrapped around the tomatoes. I've never seen it again though. You could ask the stockers if they have any in the back.

Warmouth

I knew being a pack rat was a good thing! Now if we could have fotw patterns for the rest of this junk. . . .

Seriously, I like that fly, Bill. And I would just add that the technique that I use to burn feathers would help here too. I use a small incense stick (1/8") to melt the excess instead of a lighter or candle. It's just warm enough and smells better than flaming feather or plastic.

Hi Mike.....electronic stuff is often packed in it.
    Keep in mind though, not all packing foam is alike. Flatten a bit with your fingers and if it stays flat, it's no good. The better stuff will bounce back after it's flattened.
    btw....thats a great O. Edwards pattern!
    Jason

Mike, You can get transluscent packing foam from the Book Mailer. They carry it in 1/8" and 1/16". You get enough of the foam to tie a ton of flies. Lafontaine used this foam on many of his flies. He introduced it to fly tying. Had a great day with his Air head yesturday which uses this type of foam. Later, Jim

Try a packaging store, they'll probably give you more than you need. The 1/32" PE foam works best for a fly like that. If you want to start your own tying material business or buy a lifetime supply for everybody at FAOL you can but a whole 1000 sq. ft. roll, here's a source on eBay.
    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19274&item=2988337 344:b1460]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19274&item=2988337 344[/url:b1460]

------------------
    Joe

Mike there is a guy in Cleveland that sells the real thin stuff if you write to him he will send you a sample he also sent me 2 flies he tied with it. I have some in white and green my mom got for me at work shoes sometimes come wraped in it as to computer stuff. Later Matt P.S. here is the address Jerry Belfer 22061 Liberty Rd. #303 Cleveland Ohio 44146-1283 it says free mayfly spent wing material sample. Hope this is ok to add to my post Matt as I have no conection to this guy just recived a free sample LOL!

------------------
    To each there own !

[This message has been edited by stonefly71 (edited 14 April 2005).]

[This message has been edited by stonefly71 (edited 14 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread