+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble with floss

thanks garic!....4 edits later and I think I got it right! Good to see you by the way..hope you are well...Jason

doing well feen, just a change of job makes it near impossible to get in the chat room at 3am lcoal time, but will make an effort some night to show my face

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

I've never tried the bobbin, but if you're doing it by hand I can help. Some kinds of floss go on flatter than others. The Japanese good stuff, Largartun, and Danville seem to want to go on flatter than Uni and Pearsalls, which have a twist that you must deal with. Keep both hands very close to the hook as you put the floss on. I'm assuming a perfect base has been established for the floss. Let the floss slide through your fingers, and if it starts to seperate, back up at least two turns. Wind slowly, but keep a light tension so the floss will never "catch", that causes fraying. Pearsalls won't fray ever, so if you're having that problem , try Pearsalls. Try to keep the floss flat, twisted floss will lead to seperation. Beyond that, the smooth base and smooth hands are everything.
    Eric

This seems to work for me. I've been using 1 strand of the danvilles 4 strand rayon. I cut a piece just a little longer than what I need and slightly moisten the tip at tie in. working with my index finger and thumb in close I stroke the fibers all the way to the end after I make the 1st over wrap. I believe the start is important to not have any loose fibers. On each turn over I stroke back down with my right & pick up with my left and continue to the end while simutainiously getting a new grip with my right. I do this on every turn. Seems like a lot of work but once I get going thinks just flow right along.

I might add that too much preasure will cause individual fibers to break and of coarse keep off the hook point. At any time if preasure loosens there is seldom recovery as well.

I do beleive working in close does help keep the fibers from spreading too much. As Riverdancer says that UTC140 does work great. I often use one layer of it to finish off a head.

Most of us have coarse hands and fingers, so a light smoothing of our finger tips will help, before handling floss. I have a sanding sponge, that is about 200 grit that I use before handling floss. Sandpaper also works too!

Wetting the floss before handling it, and having moist finger tips also is a plus, the water acts as a lubricant.

More floss info here.
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/hairwing/hwrustyrat.html:1e86d]http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/hairwing/hwrustyrat.html[/url:1e86d]

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Thanks for the replies. I am going to give your suggestions a try.

Thanks again all!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread