+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyshops and Guides

Default Flyshops and Guides

A couple observations:

While I was in a shop poking around the tying stuff I heard the guys at the counter answer at last 5 different customers questions on where to go fishing for the day with the same response "The Firehole's hot (fishing, not temp); it's been real good around Fountain Flat Drive". I was planning on fishing the Firehole since I wanted to try out some new White Miller dries (no luck on top but great fishing swinging softhackles). I didn't fish that section, lots of other good, less crowded, water available (if you're willing to hike away from the road; keep your bear spray on your hip) but drove down Fountain Flat just to see and it was an absolute zoo; looked like the Barns Hole at dawn. You'd think the shop would want to spread folks out a bit, and it wasn't like these were the typical "buy a spool of Tippett and expect the dope on a secret Glory Hole" fishermen; they were dropping considerable (at least to me) amounts of money and should get better suggestions than that canned response.

Easy to spot guides while walking the trails along the Madison -
    they're the one young guy with a group of geezers (me being a geezer makes it easy for me to recognize my kin)
    they move gracefully (as gracefully as you can while walking on rounded rocks covered with stream snot) from one client to the next and never slip or stagger
    they're the only one with a net (big, 2-handed type)
    they're the only one wearing a vest; this blew my mind. I'd feel naked on a stream without a vest, the weight of all the junk I carry keeps me hunkered down so I don't show myself to the fish as quickly, or hit myself in the head with a cast as often

Btw, here's Friday's sunset over the Gravellys from my campsite; last nite in MT this year (bummer).

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 09-30-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Note that the big two-handed net guys are all West Yellowstone guides... We all carry little ones on our backs to keep our hands free to gesticulate wildly and/or tie knots and/or to use for balance since we hike way farther and in much rougher than those dudes.

Also, you won't catch me dead guiding in the Madison drainage in the fall. I saw more guides total every day I was in Alaska last week than I have in the entire last week combined in Yellowstone/Montana.
    Last edited by Longs for Cutts; 09-30-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

They need the big nets to ward off high-holers (actually, everybody was pretty cool about maintaining space; it was a bit of an issue on the Missouri). By the way, what's with all the hate towards cutts from the folks (K. Galloup wasn't there) at Slide Inn? I had mentioned I might head up the NE end of the Park and they didn't have much good to say about the fish. I know it's taking money out of their pockets, guide-wise (not that I'm paying for a guide), but fish are fish and those are some of the prettiest I've seen; seems kind of a narrow view to take. Not a west-side bias either; the guys at Blue Ribbon sure like them.

Regards,
    Scott

Who needs a guide for the Firehole or Madison ?

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 10-01-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

What gorgeous wings on that ant. What are they - it is an ant, right?

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    What gorgeous wings on that ant. What are they - it is an ant, right?
    That is a Nectopsyche or White Miller Caddis from the Firehole River. The long antennae are the dead give-away...

PT/TB

Wow, I wasn't even close. Guess the wings got made by a higher power, right?

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Wow, I wasn't even close. Guess the wings got made by a higher power, right?
    ALL things come from HP...

PT/TB

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Who needs a guide for the Firehole or Madison ?
    Apparently plenty of folks think they do, because there were a number on both rivers. Of course they all had their clients fishing nymphs under a bobber. Effective, to be sure (at least on the Madison; didn't see how they worked on the Firehole) but that's not what I was there for.
    As an aside, Blue Ribbon had partridge skins (Tyer's Grade) for sale for $12.99; a friend wanted one so I picked one up for him. Took a good look at it and can't see anything wrong with it; that's a heck of a good deal and yes, a blatant plug for the shop.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

My son was using a heavy anchor Euro pattern and a #20 Midge. I swung soft hackles...I used the Winston 9',5wt. WT and he used my T&T Paradigm 9', 5wt. - both with Tibor reels. Each of us caught plenty of Trout...

I was waiting for BRF to get some Blue Grouse skins in...they did not show up in the 11 days that I was around...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 10-02-2017 at 03:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread