+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Farm Ponds....

Default Farm Ponds....

Boss sent us north of Clearlake Ca. for a load Thursday A.M. so we arrived Wed. P.M. After parking the truck in the field below the dam, we pulled out our "truck" rod and proceeded to pester the pond residents. Several LM's in the 2 1/2-4 1/2 lb range came to hand that evening on a frog immi we use. The next A.M. after loading the several trucks it was back to the pleasures at the pond with a 1" minnow immi popper for some more LM's and MANY large aggressive BG's. An underwater minnow immi produced more of the same with a bonus 8+ lb. catfish.
    Of course the phone (camera) was on the dash of the truck instead of in the pocket (where the boss can reach me).
    Farm ponds ARE grand....
    ....lee s.

Farm ponds are great. Glad you had fun.

Rick

Around these parts we have gravel/marl pits from the road building days that has gone on for the last half century. Thanks be to the birds that have nourished them with fish (mostly bream and L/M bass), they are great to get out on with the canoe & fly rod. The ponds I fish are deep enough where they are spring fed so that ensures an ample supply of fresh water where they don't become stagnant. For surface casting, the old fashioned poppers work good, and as for dry flies the Goddard Caddis is my favorite. Wets work great in the spring and early summer (just a plain-jane soft hackle wet, either beige or ginger). Nymphs work good, too, plus sometimes I'll trail a streamer along behind as I softly paddle the canoe around the tree lined edges of the pond. I really enjoy a morning or afternoon on the pond with the canoe.

Sometimes the littliest potholes are the most fun.

Farm ponds and municipal water resivores are my fave places to fish, close to home,flat bottom boat and a paddle, love to quietly ease around the edges and take'm off the top, lots of fun.

If you can get on friendly terms with the greenskeeper, the water hazards on many golf courses are great. The courses are usually closed on Mondays down here and that's the time to go fishing. The runoff from the surrounding course tends to make the ponds very fertile.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Sorry with the late reply, have'nt logged on in a while.

They're several golf courses Ive been eyeball'n, never gave any thought to how fertile tho (thanks for the tip), gives me something to work twards for this year, need to make a visit to get foot in the door.

I wouldn't eat fish out of golf course water. They tend to use a lot of pesticides. Some of them are cumulative and quite dangerous. FWIW, I worked on the greens crew for a couple of summers while in college.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread