+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for info on a South Bend 1155 reel

Default Looking for info on a South Bend 1155 reel

I picked up an old 1155 with the dual drag; man, this thing is a beast! I assume it's U.S.-made as I have a couple of 1122's from the Gladding era that are stamped Japan on the reel foot, but this one isn't; just says Patent Pending. Have a few questions...

1) Is there anything special about using the dual drag, anything you need to do outside of typical?
    2) The reel looks very "Pflueger-ey"; anyone know who made these South Bend reels?
    3) It appears to have a ratchet plate similar to the Medalist reels but I haven't pulled it to see if it has the flange allowing it to be converted to left hand retrieve? Anyone know if it can be?

Innards pictured here; the 1122 on the left has a very simple drag; in fact, it may be just an on/off clicker. I asked my questions on the Classic Fly Rod forum but so far no help. Thanks for any input...

There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Check on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum. There are some people on there who should be able to answer any of your questions regarding the reel. I have the 1144, and you're right; they are beasts. I've never used it; I don't know if I even have a rod long and heavy enough to balance it.

Larry

*OFF TOPIC!!* Canoeman! Good grief! It's been years since I've seen you on here!! So good to see your name this morning!

OK ... back to your regularly scheduled thread! Sorry Prairieschooner!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks Larry. I have a South Bend 9' #76 rod that is a real hog; even my Medalist 1498 filled with 8wt line won't balance it. Gonne give this old SB a try on it. I have discovered that the lever at the bottom of the drag rides in jags on the back side of the drag plate, so the retrieve is not reversible.

Betty, no problem!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread