+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what size rod

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default what size rod

I am considering moving to Yuma AZ which in spite of being the driest place in the USA (about 3.5 inches of rain a year) has some awesome warm water fishing. just wondering what size rod one should use for large catfish and bass. i dont think a 6 wt is going to do it, although it might be fun until somthing breaks.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

i have landed 10 & 12 lb blue catfish on a 6 wt.. i would give shot. lots & lots of wind or consistantly long casts would lean toward an 8 wt
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 08-01-2017 at 10:18 PM.

I use a 6wt rod with a fighting butt for carp that can get up to 12 pounds or so. It should not be much problem in a lake or pond where there is no current for them to use against you. The fighting butt can make a big difference in fighting strong fish.

Ted

I caught the cats in my Sunday AM post on a 6 wt, but I do have some belly bruises from the rod butt! My 7 and 8wts have a fighting butt and might have prevented those. I've actually caught some pretty big cats on my 5wt but you have to finesse 'em; can't horse 'em out.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I used a 6 wt for pretty much all my warmwater fishing. I've landed 6 1/2 lb bass, catfish to 12 lbs, common carp to 16 lbs, and grass carp to 35 lbs. I take that back... Those last 3 were all on a 5 wt (with 3x tippet...8.5 lb test). For bass, carp, and catfish, I'd recommend using 10 lb or 12 lb tippet. (2x or 1x).
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

I love my six weights I will have just make sure that I don't try to horse them in. on the other hand my line might end up in mexico if I use too heavy a tippet. Striped bass, large mouth bass, Chanel cats are all a possibility. I have an 8 weight somewhere I can throw a line on. Im looking forward to tossing mouse flies.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread