+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what size rod

Blog Entries

Default what size rod

I am considering moving to Yuma AZ which in spite of being the driest place in the USA (about 3.5 inches of rain a year) has some awesome warm water fishing. just wondering what size rod one should use for large catfish and bass. i dont think a 6 wt is going to do it, although it might be fun until somthing breaks.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

i have landed 10 & 12 lb blue catfish on a 6 wt.. i would give shot. lots & lots of wind or consistantly long casts would lean toward an 8 wt
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 08-01-2017 at 10:18 PM.

I use a 6wt rod with a fighting butt for carp that can get up to 12 pounds or so. It should not be much problem in a lake or pond where there is no current for them to use against you. The fighting butt can make a big difference in fighting strong fish.

Ted

I caught the cats in my Sunday AM post on a 6 wt, but I do have some belly bruises from the rod butt! My 7 and 8wts have a fighting butt and might have prevented those. I've actually caught some pretty big cats on my 5wt but you have to finesse 'em; can't horse 'em out.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I used a 6 wt for pretty much all my warmwater fishing. I've landed 6 1/2 lb bass, catfish to 12 lbs, common carp to 16 lbs, and grass carp to 35 lbs. I take that back... Those last 3 were all on a 5 wt (with 3x tippet...8.5 lb test). For bass, carp, and catfish, I'd recommend using 10 lb or 12 lb tippet. (2x or 1x).
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

I love my six weights I will have just make sure that I don't try to horse them in. on the other hand my line might end up in mexico if I use too heavy a tippet. Striped bass, large mouth bass, Chanel cats are all a possibility. I have an 8 weight somewhere I can throw a line on. Im looking forward to tossing mouse flies.
    Georgy Shragin

If you're fishing in pretty open water where a large fish won't drag you into snags i think a lighter rod would do fine. I fish around wood and lily pads frequently and prefer heavier rods and a heavy leader that will let me unsnag my fly and drag larger fish out into the open to fight them.

My go to rods for fishing the Colorado River, lakes Martinez, Ferguson, Squaw, and the side channel lakes on the Colorado river are 8 and 9wt rods. I use the 8 most often. Sometimes a 6 or 7 for panfish or carp in open water. You will often be fishing either in current in the river or around heavy structure in the lakes and river. Stripers, LM bass, SM bass, cats, carp, panfish. An 8 or a 9wt will cast a heavier line which will help when you want to cast heavier flies or handle a heavy 300 to 350 grain sinking line in the river. The 8 would also be useful if you make it up to Havasu or Mead. For casting bass bugs or mice I typically use an 8wt rod with a 9 or 10wt floating lines. Im not usually making tremendously long casts so the heavier line works well for tossing bulky bugs. Oh, I have seen plenty of carp that would go over 30lbs. Plenty of 3-5 lbers too. If I'm fishing canals I will use a 6 or 8 wt depending on water flow in the canals and the size of the fly I'm using.

If I was only going to have one rod over there it would be an 8wt.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 08-09-2017 at 04:11 AM.

Blog Entries

thanks for the input tailingloop, from the pictures I have seen there are some monsters in the area.
    Georgy Shragin

It's not that a 6wt won't handle the fish, it is just a bit light for many of the flies. I tend to use my 6-8's for bass, depending upon wind and flies that I'm using

I'd move to a least a 7 but more likely an 8. While I own several 9's, including some very nice sticks, I find 9wts to be much more tiring to throw for a day...

Try a fast action to toss those larger hair bugs and streamers... I wouldn't buy a rod in those weights without a fighting butt...

If at all possible put your hands on several rods that are within your price range

Personally, i just got a Loomis NRX and absolutely love it! It is more than a bit pricey, but it is so sweet!
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread