+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which foot control bow mount trollingmotor...Minn Kota or Motorguide...and ....

Hybrid View

Default Which foot control bow mount trollingmotor...Minn Kota or Motorguide...and ....

Hello,
    I suppose this question is about boating and not actual fishing. But it is related to my fly fishing efforts. I only want to buy somewhere between a $300 and $800 dollar one. But find negative reviews on all that I look at on the internet. Could someone just recommend a good one that will work on my little 14' boat? I only went that high just looking for quality. I will sell an item I have for approx $5-$600 so the high dollar one is not a big issue. Just cannot find one that all reviews are positive....or...uh...well.......

The reviews in plural really put down Minn Kota cust svc. But another site says it is good. uh....maybe I just stay wit a hand guide one I already have.

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

As a general rule, the fancier motor you get, the more problems are probable. A 5/2 speed hand controlled unit (I used to use a floor-mounted dimmer switch for off/on, if you can remember those) will produce a lot fewer problems than a GPS/auto pilot/remote/self-deploying unit.
    Customer service isn't their long suit, and most times the closest service center is several states removed anyway.
    And lastly, a dissatisfied customer is a lot more apt to write a product review than a satisfied one is, so factor that in too.
    Don't know your boat or your application, but for a 14-footer, I'd think a simple $200 manual motor would work just fine. If you opt for remote control, get a foot-controller for shoreline fishing (warmwater) and a button-type remote for open lakes.

Thank you I have a 34 or 35 pound thrust hand control one already. I have often wondered if I would not be just as happy with it as a foot controlled one. One has to get used to the foot control...and go this way....then that way....then stop....then set the speed, all with a foot....etc. I had been thinking about iffen a hand control would be enough for me. 'Methinks your comments are spot on. I just intend to fish ponds and lakes in Mid coast Maine. I believe I am totally finished....done...with searching for the "right" one on the internet. Saves me a lotta time t0o. I be done with it. Thank you again. Well done.

+ Reply to Thread