+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Magic Tool Table

Default Need help with Magic Tool Table

Every time I try to insert a piece of marabou into the Magic Tool table, the downward pressure causes the table legs to splay open, then the table blows apart. Thankful I didn't break anything.

Any tips on how to get the darn stem into the table slot?

Peter F.

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

Hi Peter,

I just returned from my tying room where I tested my MT table on a marabou feather with no problem. Does your table have a rubber "o" ring or the spring? Is it a bit too loose? Were you trying to insert the heavy base end of the stem or the smaller tip; I inserted the tip of feather and discarbed the butt end. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:03074]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:03074]

Al, Obviously I need to experiment more. I was actually using the butt end, as I was using the discarded butts from buggers to make marabou dubbing. (Doing this "by hand" is not a problem, I was just experimenting for the first time with the table).

My tables have springs.

Peter

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

Peter,
    If the idea is to save and use the "left over" marabou after the woolies, cut the fiber off the stem and lay them on the table. Use a thread, or very light wire, to push the fibers "into" the table to secure it for the clamps.
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I really like the magic tables, I use a piece of monofilament to push down the materials. I have found it a lot easier to use a dubbing loop rather than splitting the thread as the video shows. ( Though each gives a different look. ) Good luck.

I have to agree with Cardinal on this one. I have a length of mono tied to a small handle for this job, I find thread or wire tends to drag the material in the table.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

Two things might be factors...

Someone pointed out that in his video Marc didn't point out that you have to be careful and only grasp one of the table legs or you will inadvertently open it.

At a show I saw someone using the tools and he had made a small sheet of wood with two slots in it to accept the table legs...maybe that helps the problem???

What is better the O-rings or springs....didn't know it came with springs?

AlanB Guest

Ducksterman,

There is no difference between the two (spring and rubber band) in the opperation. The difference is that the rubber bands are affected by daylight and will fall apart if left out in strong sunlight.

If this does happen with yours get in touch with the dealer and they can get you replacements from Marc.

Regards

Alan

Thanks, Alan,
    Almost the first time I went to use mine two of the rings broke...maybe fell apart is a better discription...anyway got replacements at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Are the springs newer? ...better?

ducksterman,

The coil springs promise to be more durable, though I have not had mine long enough to tell for certain.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

+ Reply to Thread