+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pike/Largemouth Leader Rig

Hybrid View

Default Pike/Largemouth Leader Rig

I've never rigged my fly rod for pike. Does anyone have a leader formula? Can I use the same rig for largemouth bass? This lake actually has pike, muskie and largemouth bass in addition to pan fish. I've never fished for pike before but I thought I'd like to give it a try.

Here is what I use.

Default Pike Leader

Hi Ralph, This seems pretty simple for a pike leader. What do you think? It's material I can get locally.

QUOTE (deeky @ Feb 21 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Those big flies don't exactly need the delicate presentation of a tapered leader. Go with a straight section of Power Pro braid, 50 - 80 pound test. That stuff is really tough and resistant against teeth, but if you need it, put a short tippet of Toothy Critter or some other knottable leader on the end of it. Then tie in a snap for quick and easy fly change - the pike won't be that shy of it.

Bruce
    Last edited by lastchance; 07-12-2017 at 04:48 PM.

I use a heavy 5'6" furled leader, 2 feet of 20 pound mono then a foot of a product called Knot 2 Kinky bite tippet. Albright the mono to the bite tippet and put a perfection loop in the end if the bite tippet and add a snap to the perfection loop. Works like a charm to turn over those big ugly flies and wet socks we toss at pike.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

a agree, they are not leader shy. a bite tippet is definitely a must when targeting pike. I really like the way the hand twisted leader turns over big flies. But your tippet needs the mot attention for toothy critters.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Hi Ralph, This seems pretty simple for a pike leader. What do you think? It's material I can get locally.

QUOTE (deeky @ Feb 21 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Those big flies don't exactly need the delicate presentation of a tapered leader. Go with a straight section of Power Pro braid, 50 - 80 pound test. That stuff is really tough and resistant against teeth, but if you need it, put a short tippet of Toothy Critter or some other knottable leader on the end of it. Then tie in a snap for quick and easy fly change - the pike won't be that shy of it.

Bruce

I've used the same commercially produced leaders gear fishermen use for pike tied onto a 5 ft. length of 20 lb test fluorocarbon. The swivels on the end mean it doesn't twist if your fly or the fish should spin and the snap at the end makes it much easier to change flies. They do have some disadvantages over using tieable wire but it think the sacrifice is worth it.

+ Reply to Thread