+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Fly Fishing Magazine Industry is Dying...

Hybrid View

People get there info the quickest and easiest way now, whichever suits them. I used to get every fly fishing publication there is, now I get none. Just about everything is a rehash of an old subject. I am sorry to see the demise, I have the first copy of Fly Fisherman, Rod and Reel before it was Fly Rod and Reel, probably others too. You see the same problems with today's news print, some of our oldest newspapers are struggling too.

Gene

I certainly miss the salt water mags. How many get thisisfly online?

Blog Entries

I used to read gun magazines then they all became the same, either it was AR15 or 1911 or Tacticool crud. Never a bad review and often a review where the person was at some hunt paid for by the gun company whose product they were reviewing. Now if I want to know about a certain firearm, I go two a couple of boards I frequent or over to youtube and watch some reviews. Were I in the market for fly gear, I would ask here, Im sure I would get more information and better suggestions than I would from any paper magazine. and I don't have to pay $10 for the privilege of reading a bunch of advertisements disguised as articles. .
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

The reason I stopped subscribing and then even buying Fly Fishing magazines is that I got tired of reading articles about places I have no chance of ever fishing. 12 page articles of fishing in Mongolia for a fish that only marginally resembles a trout interest me not in the least. The only magazine I follow is an online one called Southern Trout. Besides the articles being about areas I may (and have) fish, even the ads are also relevant to me. They even have an Ozark edition and being that is where I go when I want "an adventure", the magazine is much more interesting, at least in my opinion.

Southern Trout
    Last edited by Bluegill Budd; 06-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Seems they are following what happened to the Warmwater Flyfishing magazine.
    It died because the editors said that the advertizers said that warmwater fly fishers did not buy any equipment or tying materials.
    Seems that readers do not drive the publications anymore.

Rick

Had subscriptions to Fly Fisherman, American Angler, and Fly Tyer for years; let my last one, to Fly Tyer, run out in 2009. Got tired of all the long-armed grip-and-grin shots and formulaic stories; with all the info available on the interweb, especially in the realm of tying where lots of talented folks share their work, the magazines became superfluous. I do treasure my stash of print, especially Nick Lyons' articles in Fly Fisherman and all the old patterns from the 80s-90s that the fish haven't seen in a while (and still work quite well), but have no need or desire to page thru the stuff on the news stands any more. Just my $.02

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Recently received a letter offering a 2 years subscription for $12.00 to a fly fishing magazine haven't subscribed to for years. With hundreds of past issues of fly fishing magazines on the bookshelves, most of which went out of publication somewhere in the middle of paid subscription started when the magazine first started in the last century & then sending or offering a substitute; will probably just go back to the piles of research materials instead of adding to it or fly fish on the internet for reading content.

+ Reply to Thread