+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knots and your preferences

Hybrid View

Default Knots and your preferences

I have run through the gamut over the years on knots within my rigs, and what seems like coming full-circle in the end. I probably use a rig most of the time that is a bit unorthodox compared to mainstream. Nothing scientific involved here. Just my experiences. Curious if I am alone or knot (couldn't help it).

First, I avoid the bloodknot like the plague. Yes, I know how to tie it. But it has failed me on large fish more times than any other knot at the leader-to-tippet junction. And the surgeons knot has failed too often to use at the tippet.

My leaders are always loop-to-loop at the fly line. Either a furled loop....or...a simple overhand loop tied as small as I can get it. It has NEVER failed (knock on wood). Despite the tests I have read about.

My leaders are micro-ring or micro-swivel on my tippet junction if furled, which is most often. if not, I use again...a simple overhand knot looped as short as possible.

My tippet is an improved clinch to the ring or swivel....or an overhand loop once again.

At the fly...improved clinch....100%

Recently I was told I was nuts for using overhand loops by a knowledgeable friend. And had I just begun, I would accept it. However, they don't break. They cast very well, and I can tie them in the dark by feel if need be. As a note, I fish flourocarbon tippet nearly 100% and never larger than 3X, except for warmwater, I use Orvis AR tippet in 8-10 & 12#.

Thoughts? Not by any way saying I am right and anybody else is wrong. But for discussions sake....

I use loop to loop for everything but the knot for the fly. I am with you on other knots failing, maybe because I don't do them well enough.
    Improved chinch knot for flies. It has worked for me.

Rick

Based on my personal preference, experience and habit, here is what I use.

Backing to line: nail knot
    Line (without loop) to 1 foot butt section: nail knot
    Butt section to leader: blood knot
    Line (with loop) to leader: Perfection loop to line loop
    Leader to tippet: Surgeon's knot
    Tippet to fly: improved or unimproved clinch or non-slip loop. It might just be me, but in flourocarbon, I have been having better luck with the unimproved clinch. I use the loop for streamers.

I use several different loops. The perfection loop is quick an easy but not so strong. I use it for the butt end of leader, since it's not the weakest point. When I tie a fly to the loop I use the non-slip mono loop. When I want a strong loop, I use a figure-8 loop or a king sling.

backing to line: Bimini twist to whipped loop
    line to leader: whipped loop to perfection loop
    hand knotted leaders: blood knots
    leader to tippet: perfection loop to surgeon’s loop
    tippet to fly: non-slip loop or regular ol' (unimproved) clinch
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Think I fit into that category of fly fishers who have over a period of years tried different methods of line to leader attachment, and a host of different knots for anything I can think of for a fly rod/fishing set-up. After years of experimentation, trial and error, I've settled in for what works and fits my doings and needs best, especially in the field.

I'm a loop to looper for the fly line to the leader. What works satisfactory and the simplest for a line loop for me, is to tie a perfection loop (makes a smaller knot then a overhand loop) at the fly line end, and then cover the knot with a short piece of electrical heat shrink tubing (maybe 1/4" long), gently and carefully heat it over a 60wt bulb so it shrinks dcown nice and tight. So far, no damage to the fly line that I can see, but to make sure the line's coating was not effected, i use some silicone line dressing on the connection afterward. Makes for a tight loop that glides through the rod line guides without hanging up. The heat shrink tubing I use is 3/32" dia and has a 50% O.D. shrink.

For the leader connection, I use the standard overhand loop knot, and tie on the tippet with the old standby double surgeon's knot. For tying on a fly my most often used knot is the straight clinch knot. I know how to tie it right, in all kinds of conditions, and it works.

I tend to think the best knots are those that I can consistently tie well, so I tend to stick with the knots and system that I have experience with.

I use a whipped loop in the end of my fly line, a perfection loop in my leader butt and loop-to-loop connection of leader to line. Blood knots in the butt and taper section of leaders. Triple surgeons' knot or tippet ring with improved clinch knots in the tippet sections. Improved clinch knot to attach flies to tippet.

I don't use overhand knots (except for the occassional accidentaly knot). However, I've heard they are not as bad / weak as we sometimes think.

There's some good, objective info at https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...r-stoft-umpqua.

I watched and studied "knot wars" for a while and have several knot links in my favorites folder.

My main comment isn't about the exact knots that I use but more about what is required of a knot. Some think of just knot break strength, but with today's materials is that really the number one concern?

I want a knot that I can tie easily, in the dark or with wet hands or with gloved hands. I put a premium on the time it takes to tie the knot. When the fish are tailing in front of me or rising, that is not the time to take 5 minutes to tie a single knot.

Think about what you really want out of your knots and that will help you decide on what is the right knot for you.

+ Reply to Thread