+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite dubbing tool?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Your favorite dubbing tool?

I have tried many dubbing twisting tools. Have found several that work for me, but never completely happy with one.

I see Kelly Galloup now offers one which is basically the "sheperd's tool" design.

Was trying to post a photo of it, but having trouble doing so this morning.

As I use weighted base vise's, as opposed to C-Clamp, I need one that is fairly short.

Anyone use Galloup's tool??

Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Either Dynaking Spin Master or a wire clip. Have tried most of the ones on the market, and the Cal Bird style tools (i.e. shepherd's crook) are my least favorite.
    Last edited by whatfly; 05-19-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Either Dynaking Spin Master or a wire clip. Have tried most of the ones on the market, and the Cal Bird style tools (i.e. shepard's crook) are my least favorite.
    Funny that you mention the Dyna King tool. I have one somewhere and cannot seem to find it. Guess I need to clean up and re-discover items buried in my tying messes. The thing I liked about that one was that it works well with the shorter height of a vise on a base v. C_clamp.

I've used several different tools, but I usually reach for my Cal Bird dubbing tool. I think they were originally made by Frank Matarelli, but Dr. Slick makes a fairly close copy.
    5489.Jpg

I'm with the Dyna King camp. I met Larry Walker years ago and he showed me his dubbing tool and it is my second favorite tool.

I don't remember where I got this or who made it, but I have been using it for at least 43 years...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I use a sharpie felt tip marker for dubbing loops ... i slip the cap clip into the dubbing loop to hold the loop open when i am adding materials and use rotary hackle pliers to to twist up and wrap the the dubbing . it works for me and i always have these in my kit, but then i tend to be a minimalist

I'm a split-thread dubbing looper so I seldom use a dubbing spinner. If I do use one for a larger fly, it is Cal Byrd's Shepard's Tool.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    I'm a split-thread dubbing looper so I seldom use a dubbing spinner. If I do use one for a larger fly, it is Cal Byrd's Shepard's Tool.

Joe
    Ditto. I generally use split thread on smaller applications. For coarse materials on larger flies, it's often in a loop with Cal's dubbing tool. Sometimes on the Norvise.

I picked up a Walker's Dubbit tool several years after I began tying. Looked like the specialized gizmo I needed for tying those big stonefly nymphs. I understand some folks really like the Dubbit, but not me. The lightweight wood base makes no sense.

Blog Entries

Seems like the general design of a sheperd's tool is pretty popular.

+ Reply to Thread