+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you report poachers?

Hybrid View

Have Co. Operation Game Thief on speed dial.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Have Co. Operation Game Thief on speed dial.
    That is an excellent idea.

One thing to note: many states have an Operation Game Thief....but the telephone numbers usually differ from state to state.

California has Cal-Tip. It's on speed dial, and there is a text number too, if you don't want to be obvi, or have spotty coverage
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Partly it depends on the situation. For example I recently observed a young man carrying a rigged up spinning rod on a fly fishing only section that was closed season at that time. There were other parts of the river that were open and a section that allowed spinning gear. He wasn't hiding anything and was out in the open in a extremely well traveled area. I figured he just didn't know the rules. I reminded him to check the rules and that he could be ticketed if a game officer showed up.

Other times someone is clearly violating the law on purpose or trying to hide something. They get turned in.

I have Oregon's TIP (Turn In Poachers) number on speed dial.

Jayatwork,
    In keeping with my "ain't your/my job" opinion stated earlier , I think you made certain assumptions that may or may not have been factual. If, on the other hand, a game warden did confront this individual, the lesson learned would be FAR MORE effective and lasting than your reminder (even if the warden gave , and probably would have given, him a pass). Until very recently, intent and ignorance of the law, have never been a legitimate excuses to break the law, but mitigating circumstances could, however, lessen the sting as likely would have happened in this case.

Mark

Yes I made assumptions, but I think I am pretty capable of assessing the situation and I will continue to use my discretion in these situations. The kid could not have been in a more conspicuous spot on the river. He might as well have been wearing a big neon sign. Cell service is spotty in the area and I would have had to drive a few miles to make a call. If I had called the TIP line, he probably would have been long gone by the time they responded.

I was fishing the North Branch of the AuSable in Michigan at a MiFi several years ago when an older man waded past, on the far side of the stream, with a spinning rod. The weight of his lure made it clear that he wasn't using a fly, in fly-only. I pointed it out to the guide but did no more. For all I knew the guy was a friend of the guide's parents and needed some fish. In this case I yielded to the opinion of the local guide. The spin angler was wading upstream at the Dam 4 area just downstream of the steps, for those who know the spot.

+ Reply to Thread