+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with GSP thread?

Veevus makes many sizes of both GSP and non-GSP. The problem I've had with their 18/0 GSP is that about half way through the spool the filaments are wrapped around each other and I can't untangle them. Veevus is cheaper and you get more per spool than the Semperfli GSP, but it's not cheaper if you can only use part of the spool. I've never had that problem with Semperfli 18/0. Plus, Semperfli comes in many colors in its 18/0 and Veevus only makes it in black or white, as PT said, if that makes any difference.

Joe

Yes. It's slippery, so it's a bit trickier to get started. I use it because it takes longer for the snook to turn it into a frayed mess, like they do instantly with standard thread.
    Isaiah 41:10

suggestion: you guys who make furled leaders can make them from the nylon stuff you've now replaced with GSP

Originally marketed by Roman Moser as Powersilk I believe, or at least that's the first time I heard of it for general tying, there are a number of manufacturers making GSP threads now. Current thread has the same shortcomings as old thread, mostly outlined above (expensive, slick, hard to cut, hard on materials, etc.). Essentially a special purposed product used in situations where you need a lot of tension, enhanced durability, or a very thin thread. Not worth the effort for general tying.

One curious approach I've heard people use who tie very small flies is to separate the strands of GSP fishing line, spool it up, and use it as thread. Have not tried it myself, but sounds like a nice frugal way of approaching the problem.
    Last edited by whatfly; 05-05-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Blog Entries

I appreciate everyone's comments. As is often the case, varying opinions. I think that is what I appreciate about our shared interest.

In case anyone might be interested, I will post a link to a YouTube primarily about a review of GSP thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zNDbgo4M4

As others have said it's very slick and your scissors had better be sharp. It's great for spinning deer hair or tying globugs, where you need a lot of strength otherwise I prefer regular thread.

Blog Entries

Jay,
    I remember the old Kevlar thread they came out with 30 or more years ago

That stuff would cut through about anything! I was under the impression (perhaps wrong), that this material was much more friendly to tying.

I think it is better than Kevlar, but I still only use it for strength.

Kevlar is great for military use, so we should have left it there. I still have two spools if anyone is interested
    God Bless America

Blog Entries

JC,
    Not sure if you watched the Kelly Galloup linked video, but he says Kevlar should have been left in bullet proof vests........something to that effect.....LOL
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-06-2017 at 05:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread