+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you you use sinking lines and for what application?

I use Intermediate, type 3 and type 6 lines in stillwater, depending on the depth and speed I want. I use sink tips in streams for fishing streamers and to swing flies for Steelhead.

I guess I'm with Byron in that it's about the fishin and not the catchin. ( also probably for most of us regardless of method or equipment)

"They" WILL eat what I give em...........or else :>).

Mark

I use them for bass, crappies, bluegills and the occasional trout.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have fly fished about 90 days in the last 18 months. I have used a floating line for less than 10 of those trips. Most
    of those 90 days have been in saltwater. I have about 30 various sinking lines for use on rods from 4 to 13 wt. Short sink tips, integrated shooting tapers like Rio Outbound Short or Scientific Anglers Sonar in different sink rates, intermediate lines, and full length sinking lines. They all have their places for different situations, depths, currents etc or even how I want the fly to move through the water.

Most of the species I target do not take flies off the surface. I'm fishing from 3 to 30 feet deep.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 05-01-2017 at 04:52 AM.

I went on a tear a while back acquiring sinking lines (mostly on sale) and spare spools in several weights. I think they're still around here somewhere. I might haven used one or two of them a couple times
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    I have a few sinking lines: intermediate, type 3 full sink, and 30 ' type 3 sink tip but i confess i rarely use them. there are times when i think one of them would work great but i rarely take time to re rig
    If you carry a second rod, the re-rigging becomes less of an issue. In my area, and most situations I would argue, if you do not use a sinking line, you are missing a ton of fishing. This is true for streams, rivers, still-waters, and salt. Full sink, sink tips, shooting heads, and sinking leaders all have applications, depending on the conditions and the target species. I probably fish a floating line more than any other, but the sinking lines are definitely useful tools.

Whatfly

I have tried taking a second rig in my kayak ... although i don't have all the particulars worked out. i am wondering if maybe a shooting head system of some kind would work. i cover to much territory on foot on the river to justify carrying two rod setups

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    Whatfly

I have tried taking a second rig in my kayak ... although i don't have all the particulars worked out. i am wondering if maybe a shooting head system of some kind would work. i cover to much territory on foot on the river to justify carrying two rod setups
    Take look at Scotty's Fly Rod holder for the kayak. For the stream, something as simple as a Polyleader/Versileader or a customized head made from T8 etc. might be all you need, if you wish to expand your horizons and capabilities. Shooting heads are sort of specialized rigs that have a particular application, so you might want to ask around before committing to the investment. There used to be these multi-tipped lines that had short heads that I would NOT recommend because they really do not do anything particularly well. I prefer integrated lines whenever possible, but there are times when a shooting head rig is exactly the right tool. YMMV.

There are a couple of smaller deep lakes I fish where the bows are down deep. Here's where I use my sinking lines with a streamer (like a Blacknose Dace or a Woolybugger). The objective is to get down a few feet. I use a canoe boat that has an oar set-up and I'll zigzag across the lakes. If there's a breeze, I might get over to one side and drift across and then sort of troll back to the other side. Hey, it catches a few every now and again!

+ Reply to Thread