+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal Park Passes

Great deal. I use mine all the time in Shenandoah and when I head out to YNP. Still a great deal at 80.00 which is what my wife will have to pay next year.

Steve
    it's all good drifts

Since some of you guys also plan to visit and fish in Yellowstone National Park this summer, here's what the fishing permits will cost this year:

"Anglers 16 years of age or older must be in possession of a valid Yellowstone National Park fishing permit to fish in the park. State fishing licenses are not valid and aren't required.
    Three-day permit: $18
    Seven-day permit: $25
    Season-long permit: $40"

John

Blog Entries

John,

When my son and I go each year, it does add up. There are the adjoining states of Idaho and Montana as well as the Park license.

Non-resident licenses are pretty high, frankly. The problem for us is that all three areas are possibilities each day we're there as, depending on weather, stream conditions (hatches usually), and crowding we might fish one or more each day and so we have to plan our license purchase accordingly. And, each jurisdiction seems to have different time periods of purchase; i.e., 3 day, single day, etc.

Just a fact of life when fishing areas close to different jurisdictions.

Here, for example, is the Montana non-resident options:

Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-23-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Byron,

I gladly buy a non-resident season fishing license each year for Montana. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllll worth it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Used to get an annual Wyoming and YNP license every year from 1990 to early 2000's but somewhere in there Wyoming went from $12.00 , then 18.00 to something north of fifty. Past few years had to plan better between when I fished the park and when I fished Wyoming.
    Still worth every penny.
    it's all good drifts

The only part of Montana's non-resident license requirements that I disagree with is that the same license fees apply to kids from 12 - 17 years old as for adults 18 years and older. So a 12 year old non-resident kid has to pay $96.00 for an annual fishing and conservation license, the same as a non-resident adult pays.

I believe that the age was reduced a year or two ago, and personally I think that such a high fee may actually discourage some kids from fishing, or discourage their parents from taking them fishing, rather than encouraging them to fish, or it might result in them fishing illegally without buying a license.

I think if Montana wants kids 12-17 years or so old, residents or non-residents, to have a license, the fees should be a lot less than what they are now - perhaps just $20 or less for an entire season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Byron,

I gladly buy a non-resident season fishing license each year for Montana. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllll worth it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Larry,
    I usually only go there once a year. Probably fish more days on the Henry's Fork. I go for about 2 1/2 weeks, so I may as well get the annual in Idaho which I think is $95.
    Then, I get several multi/day licenses for both Montana and the Park. It does add up though. Not saying it's not worth it, mind you.

Years ago I was purchasing the annual non resident license just because, even if just passin thru Wyoming. Now, it's a practical matter. The daily non-rez costs about $ 14 and we usually stay for at least 21 days so the annual $92( now) cost is pure economics. There is an additional $12.50 fee for "conservation stamp". I also donate at least $ 10 to the "search and rescue" just in case. Word is that if you DON'T donate, they won't look for you :>)

Mark

Blog Entries

Marco,
    Curious, where do you usually fish in Wyoming? I forgot to mention that in some cases, on my fishing trips, I end up with a short-term Wyoming license as well. It is sort of the "Golden Triangle"....Idaho, Montana, Wyoming (and YNP).

Byron,
    Onaccounta we make ALL that is possible of our annual pilgrimage to Wyoming, we drive. My first wet line is near Sheridan and the Tongue ( mostly skunked there for about 3 hours ) and then it's on to Cody and the North Fork Shoshone at the delta into the Buffalo Bill Reservoir ( 3 + hours) usually with satisfactory results . So far my wife is patient reading her Kindle and/but anxious to move on to Jackson but............. I still have plans.
    WE usually lodge in Cody, doing Irma's for breakfast and Wyoming Steak House for "lunch". Then it's on to YNP and the Lamar River ( had my first underwear changing experience there with nothing but my stupidity to protect me, NO MORE. The Lamar needs more time than I am able ( wife , Kindle) to give it. A challenging fishery slightly over my head in terms of my experience. Then it's on to the Lewis River between the lake and the falls. ALWAYS productive and worth the " are we EVER getting to Jackson, I'm hungry" . All the above mentioned stops are within walking distance of our car. NOT my bag at all. It's just a matter of I HAVE TO STOP and fish. If I were a long distance truck driver delivering ice cream, there would be problem. I rubberneck EVERY bridge stream crossing and MUST STOP to check it out.
    And now, since you asked, Jackson is our base. My wife is happy and I'm off with my buds ( from Ontario, Toledo, Carmel, Naples) . Our first stop is Flat Creek just outside Jackson in the National Elk Refuge. A technical challenge waayyyy above my ability but I have fooled at least two or three 25"+ cutts in the last 15 years. The dude from Toledo, a maritime law attorney apparently has the recipe down pat and keeps yankin em in whilst we watch. OUR favorite fishery is the Snake River between Jackson Lake and Flagg Ranch. Access is a challenge but worth every near heart attack. We also fish the Salt, Greys, Gros Ventre, Green, Hoback and a few others unnamed tribs that happen to cross our paths.
    On our way home,the "Southern I 80 route" it's a mandatory stop in Laramie where I stock up on my COWBOYS stuff and fish the area where I first got the bug, Wyo 130 where it crosses the Little Laramie River on way to Centennial . That was 52 years ago. My first trout on a fly was a Brown that looked like an artist painted it for my benefit. The rest is history.
    Thanks for asking.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread