+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Wrapper for disabled vets

Hybrid View

Default Rod Wrapper for disabled vets

Wasn't sure where to post this.

Our local chapter of Project Healing Waters holds rod building events for our veterans a couple of time a year. One of our most active participants is, for all intents and purposes a quadriplegic. He does have some range of motion with his arms but had no use of his legs and almost no finger dexterity. Because of this, he struggles with wrapping guides. He can't really grip the rod blank as he turns. He more or less "palms" it. This works to a point but if he ever loses his "grip" on the blank, there is often just enough thread tension to spin the blank away from him and unwrap his wraps. (Did that all make any sense.)

Is there a HAND WRAPPER out there that, instead of V-shaped cradles to hold the blank, uses the system of 3 wheels that also includes some sort of "anti-reverse clutch" that would keep the blank from spinning away from him? I know there are POWER WRAPPERS with this feature but can't find a hand wrapper with that feature.

I actually think I would be able to build such a critter but no point in reinventing the wheel. Thanks.

Royce

I know of one that may or may not have the anti-reverse on it. I think by the nature of having wheels pressing down on it with rubber O rings on it...would keep it from back spinning. I have not seen it for a few years....and have not been HERE for 2 years. And leaving in a couple of days. I will try to get ahold of him and or get a pic for you. If he allows it I can PM you his telly. You might be able to create your own after seeing a pic of it.
    jim

I use a rod wrapper with the V style supports. I put a screw on each side of the V. Each screw is lower than the bottom of the V by just a tiny bit.
    I hook an elastic hair tie over one screw, then over the blank that is resting in the V, and hook it over the other screw. This puts enough tension on the rod blank to keep it from rotating when I take my hands off of the blank.

It's simple and it works.

Yes, good job bgreer. I forgot that. Mine is that way also. I use rubber bands, the wider ones and yep...they hold pretty good. I built mine years ago and have never used it. I suppose I should sell it or give it away.
    anyway.....goog post bgreer....nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    I use a rod wrapper with the V style supports. I put a screw on each side of the V. Each screw is lower than the bottom of the V by just a tiny bit.
    I hook an elastic hair tie over one screw, then over the blank that is resting in the V, and hook it over the other screw. This puts enough tension on the rod blank to keep it from rotating when I take my hands off of the blank.

It's simple and it works.
    We'll give this a try. Thanks. My only concern is that, although he has SOME use of both arms, he has little to no dexterity in his hands or fingers. When wrapping guides he doesn't actually grip the blank with his fingers but, more or less lays the side of his hand on the blank and turns it by rolling the blank with the side of his hand. If some sort of elastic provides enough resistance to keep the blank from spinning BACKWARD I wonder if it will also provide enough resistance to keep him from being able to turn the blanks FORWARD.

We'll give this a try before we "over-engineer" something. Thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    We'll give this a try. Thanks. My only concern is that, although he has SOME use of both arms, he has little to no dexterity in his hands or fingers. When wrapping guides he doesn't actually grip the blank with his fingers but, more or less lays the side of his hand on the blank and turns it by rolling the blank with the side of his hand. If some sort of elastic provides enough resistance to keep the blank from spinning BACKWARD I wonder if it will also provide enough resistance to keep him from being able to turn the blanks FORWARD.

We'll give this a try before we "over-engineer" something. Thanks for the ideas.
    Royce,

I see your concern. I vary the tension that the elastic band puts on the blank by using a shorter or longer band. Or by having multiple screws lined up vertically in which to attach the elastic band. I use a lot of tension on thicker blanks and the butt end of the blanks and less tension on tips. You may have to "tune" it a bit to get the correct tension for your veteran to function properly and easily.

I really hope you get something worked out for the guy.

Some spinning reels have an anti reverse. You might try a jury rig with an old reel. There's an answer out there Hope you find it Regards Pat

+ Reply to Thread