LOML has told me I am getting a trip to the Beaverkill for my birthday this year. We will be there in late May, staying for two days fishing. This will be my first freshwater fishing east of the Mississippi. I immediatelys started thinking about what flies I would need to tie to get ready for this and I am discovering that they are very different from the flies that I use here in Colorado. Here, a big fly is a size 16, with most of my ties being size 18 or 20. I mostly tie BWO and PMD patterns, lots of midges, with some caddis and stone flies.

It looks like there are likely to be about 10 different mayfly hatches in late May, along with a couple of different types of caddis. The mayflies look to be mostly size 10-12. So, it looks like I will be able to use very few of the flies that I use in my home waters. I am a little lost as to what I need to be tying. I figure I have time to tie a few dozen flies. If I tie 60 flies before I come, what should I tie? Should I bring any of my home water flies as well?

Thanks,
Ted