+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beaverkill in late May?

Default Beaverkill in late May?

LOML has told me I am getting a trip to the Beaverkill for my birthday this year. We will be there in late May, staying for two days fishing. This will be my first freshwater fishing east of the Mississippi. I immediatelys started thinking about what flies I would need to tie to get ready for this and I am discovering that they are very different from the flies that I use here in Colorado. Here, a big fly is a size 16, with most of my ties being size 18 or 20. I mostly tie BWO and PMD patterns, lots of midges, with some caddis and stone flies.

It looks like there are likely to be about 10 different mayfly hatches in late May, along with a couple of different types of caddis. The mayflies look to be mostly size 10-12. So, it looks like I will be able to use very few of the flies that I use in my home waters. I am a little lost as to what I need to be tying. I figure I have time to tie a few dozen flies. If I tie 60 flies before I come, what should I tie? Should I bring any of my home water flies as well?

Thanks,
    Ted

Ted -

Here is a list flies that you might expect in May:

Hendricksons

Paraleps/Blue Quills

Apple Caddis

Sulphur

Cornuta

Green Drake

Blue Wing Olive

Black Caddis

Grey Fox

Unless you're obligated to spend the entire 2 days on the Beaverkill, you might also wish to drive over to the West Branch of the Delaware and give it a shot as well. However, 2 days is hardly enough time to more than get your feet wet. The end of May should put you right in the midst of the year's best fishing, and most prolific hatches, but be prepared to share the water with lots of other fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    It looks like there are likely to be about 10 different mayfly hatches in late May, along with a couple of different types of caddis. The mayflies look to be mostly size 10-12. So, it looks like I will be able to use very few of the flies that I use in my home waters. I am a little lost as to what I need to be tying. I figure I have time to tie a few dozen flies. If I tie 60 flies before I come, what should I tie? Should I bring any of my home water flies as well? Thanks,Ted
    Ted,
    an early Happy Birthday, .....great gift! Do not leave your home water flies home. Bring them, especially the small caddis and BWO's. Here's a couple of links that indicate hatches which usually occur that time of year. The one says Esopus Creek Hatch Chart but the time(s) are very similar and the bugs are definitely the same. We have plenty of smaller flies here, caddis, sulphurs, BWO's.....

https://www.detteflies.com/hatch_chart

http://www.catskillanglingcollection...atchchart.html

Here's a link to another pretty good water report.
    https://www.detteflies.com/report

I have fished the area for the last ten years. Here is what I'll have in my box, green drakes, 8 and 10. Coffin flies same size. Sulfers, size 14; a few march browns, 12; caddis tan, size 14. Some BWO's 18's. Now that all depends on mother nature. Give Dette Flies a ring when you get closer to your time. I usually don't fish the Beaverkill as it is usually crowed most of the time. I fish the East Branch and Willowemoc they are wading rivers while for the best shot on the west branch it's more of a float river. IMO.

Late May is prime time, you will need March Browns, Grey Fox, large sulphurs (#14) and an assortment of caddis. Hendricksons, and Paraleps should be over. Probably too early for the Green Drakes and large Olives, but wouldn't hurt to have a few in your box. Pretty crowded up that way then, but you will find water to fish. As long as the West Branch is under 700 cfs it's very wadeable. As well as Dette Flies stop and see Dennis at Catskill Flies, both are quite knowledgeable of what's going on. Enjoy the area, it's a very special place. You will have one less person to contend with, I'll be in Colorado fishing for 10 days, end of May to early June.

Gene

I was on the Willow during the third week of May last year. The water temp was 73 deg and flows were low. When i arrived i though I would be wasting my time. Boy was i wrong! Caught six between 10-14" long on a single size 12 GRHE in 2 hours. That was a very good day. Lesson learned: don't pass up any opportunities to drop a line into the water. Best of luck on your trip

Thanks for all the information. I have been tying some March Browns and sulphurs, dries and emergers. Still will need to tie some Green Drakes and coffin flies. These flies are sure a lot easier to tie than what I am used to, but they use about 6 times the materials for each fly! I should be set for BWOs, midges, and terrestrials.

Thanks,
    Ted

+ Reply to Thread