+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first carp of the year

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Yes, the carp were/are in the shallows around here now. Even the Grass Carp were shallow yesterday....like in 18" of water. I still couldn't catch one. ;o)
    You're grass carp pursuit, is like my buffalo pursuit. Crazy hard to get them to eat. I've caught about a half dozen Buffs on the fly, but they are an exercise in frustration. I cast and cast to them and they just ignore most of my offerings. A pink chenille short SJ worm has been successful in the past but just haven't turned a fish in a while now on that fly for the buffalo. They say that they don't eat any meat like the grass carp, but we both know that they will eat, SOMETIMES.

Well you are giving me hope that when I get out later this week, I might have some success. Just have to get my crazy taxes done first TODAY. OK, off the boards and back to taxes.

Clay, (and I apologize for this thread getting hijacked!), are you trying to target Bigmouth Buffalo, Smallmouth Buffalo, or both?
    I've caught both on flies, but not many of either. There's a guy I follow on Instagram that seems to catch Smallmouth Buffalo with regularity on flies. His fly pattern of choice is something like the following:
    Beadchain eyes to get the hook point to ride up, a brown-ish Woolly Bugger body (shorter than normal hackle), and a tan ultra chenille tail. Or, basically something like John (Bartlett) Montana's Hybrid carp fly, except the color of the tail. Also, the length of the tail appeared to be longer than you'd normally do for a Hybrid.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I was out yesterday catching a few crappies and small bass with the 4wt when I saw a pretty good sized carp nosing along the shore. I was a little nervous about him on the 4 but I figured what the heck, just take it easy and you should be OK. I had a black wooly bugger on and a dropped it and pulled it right in front of his nose. He turned on it and I thought he took it and I set too soon; he turned away at the last second and darned if I didn't foul hook him. He ran but I got him stopped and was just trying to get him back close enough to cut the leader when the hook pulled loose. So I guess I SORTA hooked my first carp of the year!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I have been catching carp for a long time. The reason I used this this hard plastic grip is that it does not tear the fish's mouth when used correctly. I only apply the grip to a very small area in the front. I will not apply the grip any place else. Incidentally, this fish was was actually netted. I used the grip for the photo only.

This is a kind of " pop up" the fake corn does not lay on the bottom but floats about 2 inches above the muck at the bottom of the lake. I am an urban fly fisher.

I used a 7 wt fly rod ( 6' 10 " Fenwick fiberglass fly rod)

nice looking carp!

+ Reply to Thread