cctyer:

Changing threads is no big deal for me. I use a Matarelli whip finisher with two turns to unload the white thread, (as I do on floss bodied wet flies where I ALWAYS use white thread as an underbody for any color of floss except black).
I'll also argue with AK (or anyone else for that matter) that "whip finishing by hand is faster." (AK Best Production Fly Tying).
For one thing, after 41 yrs. of tying, I do not know how to whip finish by hand. Stubborn, perhaps, but I have no desire to learn either. (I made a couple posts yesterday on "Videos and Tying." One post describes myself as an "old dog" with "new trick" syndrome).
Besides, I'll gladly go against any challenger in a contest to see which is faster. <G> Not to boast, it would just be a "fun" and "friendly" competition. Something like start thread on hooks, say make ten wraps then do a set number of whip finishes (a minimum of three). Keep it up non-stop for a half hour or longer - see who wins with the most hooks "tied & whipped." I would take 10:1 odds on that. (If I win, the challenger gives me ten flies, reverse if I lose). But that will never happen - it's just fun to make tying even more fun with a little mirth and levity.
My reason is that most threads I use are Danville 6/0 Flymaster, Danville 3/0 Monocord, and Uni-Thread 8/0. All are suseptible to fraying when handled by hand as in a hand whip finish.

I try to keep my hands soft etc., but you cannot elmiinate every last one of those little rough spots that wreak havoc on fine fly tying thread. Another reason is I do a lot of thread "flattening" just prior to finishing my fly heads.

Most guys are "clueless" when it comes to proper thread tension, and its degree of twist relative to tying flies, and how too much twist, or not enough twist, can seriously impact one's tying and total maintenance and mastery of proper thread control. That's a whole 'nother topic...

Finally, it would take me longer to pick up, uncap, use, & replace the sharpie than to do the quick whip finish & pick up a different bobbin already spooled with the final color.

[This message has been edited by Don Bastian (edited 01 April 2005).]