+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NRS Chinook Kayak fishing PFD?

Hybrid View

Default NRS Chinook Kayak fishing PFD?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a kayak fishing pfd. I've done a little research and the NRS Chinook Kayak fishing PFD looks like it has everything that I need. I looked at an Astral as well but liked the mess back on the NRS and how it doesn't push up on the back of you neck while seated and if I really want to wear this thing, the back venting in the warmer months will be better than a solid back.

Three questions: Am I on the right track for a fishing PFD?

Where is the best place to buy that has several colors and sizes and maybe a discount off of the $109.99 common price? I don't want the blaze one to chase fish. Green or Charcoal is in my future.

Is there a difference between the 2016 model and the 2017 model?

Thanks for the comments
    Last edited by Clay; 04-06-2017 at 02:35 AM.

I own this PFD in Green. It is very functional. I don't think the pockets are great for holding all of my gear, but if you are in a kayak it may not be a big problem. I do like the vented back and this would be nice for kayak fishing. I bought mine from LL Bean when they had a 20% off coupon. I bought mine in 2015, so I'm not sure the differences in the newer versions. Happy to answer any other questions

Quote Originally Posted by RALMD11 View Post
    I own this PFD in Green. It is very functional. I don't think the pockets are great for holding all of my gear, but if you are in a kayak it may not be a big problem. I do like the vented back and this would be nice for kayak fishing. I bought mine from LL Bean when they had a 20% off coupon. I bought mine in 2015, so I'm not sure the differences in the newer versions. Happy to answer any other questions
    Thanks for the comments Ralmd. I actually found NRS on the web and did a quick chat with them on line. I found out that the differences between the older and newer Chinook is basically the colors that are offered. 2017 color line up is Green, Charcoal and Orange. Last year's colors were Bark, Blue and Orange. This is a link to the vest on the NRS website: http://www.nrs.com/product/40009.03/...ok-fishing-pfd This is a short video on the vest: http://www.nrs.com/product/40009.03/nrs-chinook-fishing-pfd

Clay, I'm curious... What did you wind up getting, and what do and don't you like about what you chose?
    Paul
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

PRM, I did purchase a the Chinook vest in a charcoal color I'll leave a link at the end of the post. They do have sales regularly and I did not pay full price. If you were to fish offshore, I think that I would want the Orange color, but this fish that I chase are spooky and wanted something to blend in. You have to make your own decision on color and I get both side of the argument.

https://www.backcountry.com/nrs-chinook-personal-flotation-device?s=a

+ Reply to Thread