+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado ...... Brookies

Default Colorado ...... Brookies

I am looking for an forum or good stuff like faol to help me with my newest addiction...Rocky Mountain brook trout on old wet flies .....
    As I live near guffey colo. With 100 of beaver ponds an spring creeks .... Any forums or pages or flies with recipes , I am all ears an eyes .... Thanks ahead of time
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

Years and years ago when i first got started fly fishing an old Indian barber in the upper peninsula of Michigan taught me how to tie his brook trout slayer. It was simply a size 10 sparse squirrel tail streamer. it was so sparse in fact that at the time i thought he was kidding. When he finished tying one he would say under his breath "Its a killer". i did catch a lot of beaver pond brookies on it as long as i was there before the sun was on the water or on a nice drizzly day.

Red! You lucky dog.

In the past few years I've spent a good amount of time fishing the FFO brook trout ponds of Maine and 90% of all USA wild still water brook trout live in the state of Maine.
    Two flies that are often mentioned with this sort of fishing are the "maple syrup" and the "Montreal wh*re"

The Montreal whor* is a bucktail style streamer with a white marabou wing and a silver ribbed orange body. Like an orange "black ghost". Very much a quality brookie streamer.

The "maple syrup" is a mystery. Just a sparse tail and tan chenille body on a 2xlong hook.
    People swear by them but they look like an April Fools joke to me. Apparently getting the color just right is key.

I fish mostly with attractors that might imitate tiny leaches and dragon fly and damsel fly nymphs
    This pink and purple marabou muddler did very well for me last season.

Last edited by dudley; 04-04-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Sadly, forums seem to be on the severe decline and ones for Colorado are in short supply. This site (http://www.coloradofisherman.com/) seems to be okay, but is not 100% fly fishing focused though it is active enough for a narrowly focused site. My guess would be someone there can answer your question. My personal recommendation would be to check with your local (or nearby) shops. I would say talk to shops in Colorado Springs or Denver (my recommendation for Denver area would be Charlie's Fly Box in Arvada), and see what they recommend for Colorado brook trout.
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks to you all
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

+ Reply to Thread