+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Up the creek

Default Up the creek

Fish are slowly starting to move from the MO River, up into the creek systems, this one called Papio Creek. I was fishing a concrete basin, when I started seeing random mud plumes out of the current. Then 2 shadows started moving close to the bank. I cast out & dragged & dropped a Fl pink San Juan worm a few inches from the bank. When the shadow hovered where I thought my fly was, I tightened the line slowly until resistance was felt, and line started sliding thru my fingers. Definitely rusty. Line wrapped around my waist pack & stripping basket. After untangling, it was a short fight. I think the water is still too cool, because this carp wasn't putting too much of a fight compared to when the temps are warmer. Of course my scale would fall apart, but I guesstimate 10+ lbs, 21". Tight lines!

170319.jpg

Great fish!

Nice! I lived in Bennington the first few years of my life; crossed the ol' Papio many times!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

That's great!
    I sometimes measure fish for length. I used to weigh some as well, but haven't done so as much in recent years. I haven't weighed many carp, but I did weigh this one on a handheld digital scale. Its not my biggest on a fly, but thought it might help you estimate the weight on yours if you are so inclined.
    27.5", 8lb 10oz.

I've tried measuring fish in photos, and scaling off something else in the picture of known size, and discovered it usually works out REALLY close. In most cases, fingers are visible and are right ON the fish. The last segment of the average human's index and middle fingers are approximately 1" long. Based on that, I estimate your carp was @ 26.67" long...so, not far off from the one I measured and weighed above.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks all! @Prairieschooner , is the creek wide where you crossed Bennington, or have you spotted fish there? The furthest north I've seen them from the MO River last year was behind St Mary's College.
    @FishnDave , Thanks for the tip. I do try to weigh fish, but the bottom of my scale fell off. I also carry a tape measure, but I was so excited that I forgot to pull it out. The weather in NE is like a yo-yo right now. At least it'll give me some time to catch up on tying flies & installing anchor trolley on kayak.

rwar: sorry; I haven't lived there in over 60 years, or been on that road in 30 years or so. Can't help ya with the fish spotting !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Nice fish. I don't usually carry a tape measure with me. I do know that my reel seat is 3 inches long, my grip is 7 inches long, and the wrap that ends just before the hook holder is 2 inches long. So I've got a built in ruler on my rod. I try to take pictures with the fish lying next to the rod when I take them and can get a good estimate of the fish's size when I upload them when I get home.

+ Reply to Thread