+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Belize Questions

Default Belize Questions

I have been given the opportunity to go fishing in Belize. This will be my first trip to the salt and I need a little help. We will be fishing for bones and maybe permit, maybe baby tarpon if the stars align. I plan on taking 8 and 9 wt rods. Are tropical lines needed, or will my weight forward bass lines work? Any suggestions on fly patterns along with sizes? I am planning on getting a pair of flats boots, just not sure what style to get. Will the bootie style work, or should I get a pair of the wading boot style like the Simms flats boots?
    Looking forward to you folks' opinions.

TIA

Brad

P.S. I have several of the Orvis old style Battenkill large arbor reels. Are these suitable for saltwater use?
    Last edited by Kaboom1; 03-10-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I would think that your bass lines would work, and the weight rods you are taking should be alright. Can't help with the patterns as I have never been there.
    As far as boots go, I have had 2 pairs of the Simms Flats Sneakers, first pair fell apart and were replaced, but they are, at least to me, very uncomfortable to wear and they would fill up with sand, making them even more uncomfortable. I went with the Simms Zip-It boots. Much more comfortable and don't fill up with sand.
    As long as you rinse them off after use, the Orvis reels will be ok. Hope you have a great trip!!!!

Kaboom1, I was three times fishing Belize in diverse spots. Ambergris, Caye Caulker, Turneffe Flats.
    For permit and bones a fast, ultra-fast 8 or 9wt is perfect. 300yards of backing for the permit, which I had the pleasure to catch and on the first run carried away 200yards of my backing. Do not bring fresh water lines but special lines for the salt. Floating line almost 100% of the time. Just used sinking ones for the drop off when I wanted to explore for other species.
    For baby tarpon I used a fast 10wt rod, perfectly. Flies for tarpon: you don't need big ones, regular Clouser Minnow and some variations on rabbit strips (diverse colors), Tarpon bunnies (tan-white), Lefty's Deceiver black-white, Black Death.
    My most productive flies for bones were Bonefish Bitter, Gotcha, and a Tan chain eyes Woolly Bugger, with white rubber legs (red tips). This is very important...do not forget to bring many unweighted flies with weed guard (mono) because there's a lot of flats with turtle grass with bones inside and impossible to fish with weighted flies. I tied for that, simple scuds on pale green and tan on #4-6 hooks. Tied on marabou for better natural movement.
    Flies for permit...just Del Brown's Merkin Crab (best and favorite fly there...I caught two big permit on my first day on those fantastic patterns) on not big size, because can be a pain in the *** to cast on windy days. I would also bring Avalon fly to try or Mantis Shrimp imitations just to experience.
    Flourocarbon leaders and tippets always. And yes, you need special flats boots. The coral and occasional but dangerous tiny monsters that live in the sand are a risk without appropriate protection.
    You can also fish occasional barracuda and those 4ft brown flats sharks that go into the shallows on high tides.
    I hope this help you for a great adventure!!
    R.
    Last edited by Rocketfish; 04-02-2017 at 03:15 AM.

I would recommend a tropical line. Freshwater lines usually wilt in the heat.

Neoprene style boots work fine.
    Isaiah 41:10

Brad
    If this is a one time trip or very occasional trip, don't go nuts. I've been to El Pescador twice (both in November). They have some limited loaner gear. Your normal lines/rods/reels will be fine. If you find out you enjoy the salt then by all means gear up for future trips. I got a grand slam on one trip and I didn't have $800 reels and tropical lines, just have plenty of backing and carry extra lines if possible. Good rods are necessary for dealing with wind. Bones are small, permit can be large, tarpon come as both babies (nature preserve) and big boys (Long Caye and the Savannah).
    Enjoy
    striper33

i caught lots of bones at Ambergris Caye on size 6 & 8 bone fish bitters in varying weights from small bead chain to extra small lead eyes

+ Reply to Thread