+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trick for securing tag dropper while moving?

Hybrid View

Default Trick for securing tag dropper while moving?

I've fished "in-line" tandem nymphs -- ie, trailer tied to the bend of the lead fly -- for years. Lately, I've been experimenting with more and more aspects of euro nymphing including flies on tag droppers. I've started rigging with a heavy, tungsten bead, nymph on the point as an "anchor" fly and a smaller, lighter fly tied on a short, 6", dropper tag about 18" above the anchor fly.

I generally like this system, but have found the tag dropper dangling loose to be an annoyance when moving from spot to spot. I wrap my tippet behind the reel, hook my point fly on a convenient guide and then tighten up the line to hold everything in place. However, that still leaves the tag dropper fly dangling loose on 6" tippet. It seems like that's just inviting problems like walking through brush and even while stashing a rigged rod in a car.

Anyone have a trick for better securing tag dropper flies?

With a 6" long tag maybe it will be long enough to hook onto one of the guides? Maybe buy a strip of Velcro and wrap it around the tag and the rod, and then itself when you're going through the brush. You can just take it off when you're ready to fish. You can buy it anywhere. How about an old twist tie from a loaf of bread?

Shorter tag or stiffer tippet? I've not had any problems myself, just something else you have to be aware of when beating the bush. Considering that the point fly is usually the heavier/larger of the two flies, never had any problems just leaving the dropper loose. As far as the car, well you have a choice, leave the rod rigged and deal with the inevitable snags, or unrig before storing the rod. I know some who use a drop loop knot and perfection loop connection, so that makes removal of the top fly easier. I've personally been experimenting with running the line through the eye as opposed to a tag, which also solve the problem mostly. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Shorter tag or stiffer tippet?
    I second that thought. I leave the tag at no more than 3 inches and have never had a problem.
    Bob

It might take some experimentation, but maybe a little rubber o-ring or even one of those small rubber bands for braces. You'd probably have to double it up and/or find something small enough to where it would slide over the small end of the butt section and then slide down the blank to the appropriate position.

A possibility listed as 1cm wide approximately .4 inch
    https://www.amazon.com/Scunci-Effort...0045HYPIM?th=1

I like the o-ring / rubber band idea. I might have to try that with a regular rubber band (doubled over as needed). I also see that Tenkara guys are using small Nite Ize Gear Ties for holding their line, so I might give one of those a try too.

+ Reply to Thread