+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying head cement

Hybrid View

Default Applying head cement

When you apply head cement to a small fly, what do you use to apply it with? Bodkin? Toothpick? Just want to keep the cement out of the eye and off the feathers. Or maybe I am over thinking it.LOL

Blog Entries

RHenn,

I use two different methods. I will either use the tip of the bodkin, very lightly dipped in the head cement. That way you can cover all the thread with a thin layer. Or, far more often now, I simply apply a bit of cement on a very short strip of the thread before I finish the head and the cement simply goes on more internal in the head tan external. Then again, I have been using a whip finish more and more and don't often use head cement on many of my flies.

Do what you want to. You are the one tying the fly.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I, also, apply the cement or super glue to the thread before whip finishing. I do it that way more for keeping the cement off the feathers than out of the eye. I can always clean out the eye.

Joe

Is there such a thing as "slow" superglue? I have tried applying it to the thread, but can't make my final whip before the glue hardens.

I trim out most of the bristles on the Sally Hansen brush and use that for application; any cement that gets into the hook eye I remove while it's still wet with the tip of a feather. Seems to work okay.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-28-2017 at 03:03 AM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I trim out most of the bristles on the Sally Hansen brush and use that for application; any cement that gets into the hook eye I remove while it's still wet with the tip of a feather. Seems to work okay.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott -

Do you dry the brush before trimming it? If so, how?

Thanks, John

I use Sally Hansen's as well. But I dump it into an old head cement bottle with the bodkin top and use that to apply it to the fly.

I don't use cement on smaller dry flies. It can be messy to apply and too easy to mess up hackles or eyes , at least for me.

The butt end of a hackle stem makes a great eye cleaner. Take the butt end of a hackle that you were going to throw away -- a soft hackle with a thicker and more tapered stem works best, strip off the remaining fibers and clip the stem at an angle.
    Last edited by johnstoeckel; 02-28-2017 at 03:32 AM.

Ordinarily I'll touch the super glue or SHHN to the thread before whip finishing. Depending on the type and size of the fly I'll also use a bodkin to touch a drop to the head and let it soak in. I'm also a big dubbing wax user and during the "construction" process I'll touch the dubbing wax to the eye of the hook filling the eye with wax. Helps keep out unwanted glue or lacquer and the wax is very easy to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Is there such a thing as "slow" superglue? I have tried applying it to the thread, but can't make my final whip before the glue hardens.
    I'm using Zap / Wapsi "Z-ment" and haven't had any premature hardening issues.

I use a bodkin with head cement, then put a needle though the hook eye to make certain it is clear:

If it's a beadhead, I put a drop of head cement on the top of the bead and sweep the thread through it when whip finishing. That is a GLF "trick"...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

i use a number 2 eberhard faber pencil with a straight pine stuck in the eraser end . ive been using the same pencil and pin for so long, I think the previous owner of the pencil was uga, he used to use it to scribble on cave walls before he gave it to me.

+ Reply to Thread