+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Treated myself to a new kayak

Hybrid View

Default Treated myself to a new kayak

I decided to treat myself to a new fishing kayak. I have been fishing out of an old Hobie Outback with the Mirage drive and really like it. I decided to go all out and get the Hobie Professional Angler in the new Camo color. The 2017 model has a new drive system that allows you to pull a cable and go in reverse which is a big plus for fishing in tight spots. The Pro Angler is designed by fishermen and is extremely well engineered. It is stable enough to fish from a standing position and the seat is adjustable for different heights, back position and even has built in adjustable lumbar support. I've only taken it out once (last evening) and it is miles ahead of the old Hobie Outback I had. Now all I need to do is finally retire so that I can really spend some time in my new toy

P.S. This is a generic photo of the same kayak I have. I chose the 12 foot model because it has a shorter turning radius and it's all that I need.

Congratulations on your new kayak! I've fished a few times from one but haven't taken the plunge (so to speak) and bought one. Sounds as though this new Hobie earns a place on my list to consider!

51BC, I have been fishing out of a kayak for the past 12 years and they are absolutely the best personal fishing platform that I've ever used for still water and large slow rivers. The hobie kayaks with the Mirage drive system keeps my hands free for casting, landing fish etc. and makes the whole kayak fishing experience much nicer (in my very biased opinion).

Jim Smith

Good for you Jim, if you were still up in this region you could have gotten the "Ice Breaker" bow!
    ENJOY!
    Mike

Thanks for reminding me Mike, perhaps that one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't move back up north. I've been out several times already this year and have done very well with Bass and Bream. The first three trips were in my old Hobie Outback, which I sold and the final trip was in my new Hobie PA12.

I hope that all is well with you and that you're all ready to for your first fishing outing of the year.

Jim

Jim,
    Thanks for the recommendation. That Hobie will stay on my list. You've got me pretty jealous with all the open water! Even with a very mild winter here, I still have about 2 months to wait for open water!

+ Reply to Thread