+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a magnifier

Default Using a magnifier

Okay, I finally bought a magnifier to save my glasses from going on and off all the time. Now, I can't seem to get good vision with the magnifier! It is a Stonfo magnifying glass that is 2X, fits on the vise stem. The convex lens is about 3" across. I try to move it in and I find hit the lens trying to put materials on. I move it out and I can't see! Any ideas out there besides new eyes? Would a larger diameter lens be better? Am I doomed to tie # 2 Wooly Buggers for the rest of my life???
    Thanks!
    Mike

I have the same problem with magnifiers. I bought some 5X glasses a few years ago and have not had a problem since, except for trying to find materials on my table. I now just put everything I will need to tie a particular fly close to me so I don't have to keep taking the glasses off to find the stuff scattered out on my very messy table.

Joe

I have been using a Luxo magnifier lamp for the last 15 years and can't imagine tying without it. Here's an older one on ebay which if it works is a great buy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxo-Magnifi...wAAOSw2xRYenPy If you look at the other Luxo articulated arm magnifier lamps, you'll see that they are in the range of $250. It gives plenty of light and the magnifier is very clear. Just one more option to consider...

Jim Smith

I use inexpensive reading glasses. Ive got a pair that stay on my tying desk and I put them on whenever I start a tying session. You can likely find a range from 1.5X to 3X or so at your local dollar store. Its a very inexpensive way to go and obviously doesn't obstruct your tying. Pair the glasses with a good lamp.

One other option is a magnifying visor. I have a Baush and Lomb flavor that I got many years ago. The optics are very good, and it easily pushes up out of the way to see around the desk. The only knock on it is, it is a bit heavy and I get a little weary of it during a long session, so I only use it for tying very small stuff.

When you use the magnifying glass be sure to look thru the top of your glasses.
    If you look thru your bifocal you loose the magnification.

Rick

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

At about 45, I was starting to have trouble seeing the scales on small rules , calipers, & such, holding them very close to make 'em out.. My boss loved to rag me about gettin old & all that. One fine day I alked into the shop, and there was a shiny new Luxo mag light mounted on the carriage of the lathe I used most. Bossman, he was hiding, sneaky like, watchin' for my reaction... He got a nice laugh out of it, and I just swung it over to the side, and started in on the day... Later, when he wasn't looking, I tried 'er out... That was more'n 15 years before I retired, and I loved that light, I've since mounted several on other machines...wouldn't have been without one. Gonna buy one shortly for my new tyin' table.
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Thanks all. I checked out some reading glasses, nearsighted for 50+ years, they're cheap. I have a visor that I need to try - again!
    I think the magnifying glass is going back.
    Keep those ideas coming!
    Mike

I'd look for a larger diameter 2x or 3x lens.

Quote Originally Posted by jay92 View Post
    One other option is a magnifying visor. I have a Baush and Lomb flavor that I got many years ago. The optics are very good, and it easily pushes up out of the way to see around the desk. The only knock on it is, it is a bit heavy and I get a little weary of it during a long session, so I only use it for tying very small stuff.
    IMHO this is the only way to go. Over the years I have two of them ...both very light weight...have not used this Harbor Freight one but the price is right...and note the flip down feature

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnifi...hts-38896.html

+ Reply to Thread