+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishin' in So. Cal.....

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Default Fishin' in So. Cal.....

Howdy folks ! My brother lives in San Bernardino, and works in Hesperia, about 35 miles away, I believe. He's been there for years, but only just recently started fishing again. He hasn't since he was growing up in No. Cal and So. Ore. in the '70s.. Any of y'all have some suggestions for fishin' holes in his vicinity. Something close, say within 50 -60 miles. Little bass ponds, maybe trout streams or ? He's wanting to fly fish, mostly, though him and I really love a good ol' catfishin' spot. That's where we learned to fish and got the bug when we was munchkins...with a cane pole, 12 feet of line, no reel, and a big ol' brown cork bobber. Me, I never got away from fishin' and I still live up in Modoc County.. I'm no help to him down in that country... I got him set up with a fly rod, vest, fly boxes (filled ) when he was at my place at Christmas. Even gave him a 9' Wright &McGill steelhead rod with a spinnin' reel on it, 'cause, well .... On the one hand ya got fishin', on the other hand...not fishin' .......fishin's always better, even spinfishin'........
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

There is fishing in Southern Cal. Within 50-60 miles there is some native trout fishing in the creeks above Los Angeles. The reservoirs around the LA area hold planted trout and bass. The surf fishing up and down the coast is really good. The bays float tube or kayak fish for several species of fish. There are a few sites that he can glean information from on how to get to and fish them. All kinds of different options around him.
    Beaver

I'm 90 minutes south in San Diego. I know there are lots of options within 60 miles of San Bernardino. More than I can list here. I haven't personally fished waters in the San Bernadino area so cannot give specifics.

Two sort of local clubs are Deep Creek Fly Fishers based out of Riverside
    www.deepcreekflyfishers.org

and Streamborn Fly Fishing Club based out of Rancho Cucamonga (meet at the Bass Pro Shop there!)
    streambornffc.org/

Silverwood Lake is near Hesperia and would probably be a good place to start. I haven't been there since the late '70's but I remember good fishing for warm water species there.

Cliff

I was in Hesperia yesterday. My sister lives there. For catfish he can go to Hesperia lakes. They stock trout through the fall and winter. They do not allow fly fishing. Mojave Narrows in Victorville is a regional park with two lakes stocked with various species. Silverwood lake is good and has trout, bass, crappy, blue gill and stripers. Lake Gregory in Crestline is 30 minutes from San Bernardino. Big Bear Lake is usually a good trout lake in the winter and summer. The back way to Big Bear City out of Mentone is hiway 38. It goes through several good fly fishing spots along the Santa Ana river and south fork Santa Ana. On that same road by Barton Flats is Jenks Lake. With all the rain and snow this year in the mountains the lakes and creeks will be up and good fishing. Good luck to your brother. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Thanks, fellas, I'll be talking to my little brother this evening on the phone. I'll pass all this on to him. I have it saved in my brain as well, for when I go down there ( kickin' and screamin') for a visit this summer. Bein' a backcountry hick from the sticks, trips down thataway are extreme culture shock for me. It's 60 miles from where I live to the nearest traffic light !
    He'll likely start with the catfishin' hole, I imagine... ........Dan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

+ Reply to Thread