+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Snowpack 2017 (so far)

Default Western Snowpack 2017 (so far)

Idaho panhandle, western Montana and central Wyoming could use some more; lots of time to boost those numbers. Compare to last year

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Blog Entries

Scott,

I have been keeping an eye on our snow levels up here in the northwest. My two favorite rivers are not getting the snow packs that I would like them to get. In eastern Washington, the Yakima River only has 75% of normal this year compared to 101% last year. Over in Montana, my favorite river is in the western part of the state, the Clark Fork River. The three drainage basins that feed it average out at only 81% of normal compared to 86% last year. Not the greatest but for sure not the worst it has been in years past. We take what we get and make the best of it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, Larry... I been watching too. In my neck of the woods, extreme N.E. CA high desert, we've gotten more snow this year than the past 5 or so put together. It has remained quite cold since the first snow in Dec., so it's soaking into the aquifer slowly, as it should. Been getting medium to heavy rain this past week, and below 5000ft it's melting fast. Moving in the right direction, though. We're gonna need a few consecutive wetter years to heal things properly, though. One concern I have is the many remote ponds and lakes that used to support good populations of bass and catfish have gone bone dry several summers in a row. I don't know who originally stocked these waters, but somehow I think it was not the Fish & Game boys. Regardless of that, at least a few generations of fisherman got the bug, and often put food on the table from these waters.... Now, most of them have nothing but mosquitoes. Is there any hope they will be restocked once normal water levels stabilize, I wonder. .... Dan ModocDan
    Last edited by modocdan; 02-06-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Blog Entries

Dan,

That is where local fly clubs, and other sports fishing type clubs can join forces with organizations like the Int. Federation of Fly Fishers and Trout Unlimited so sort of push the local game departments into a decent restocking program for ponds, lakes and some streams (like the ones that went dry and had a total die off of fish. The Northern California Council of the IFFF should be able to help out as can local and regional and state chapters of TU.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that info., Larry... Funny, my mind doesn't just jump right to reaching out to groups like those... I guess I haven't been retired long enough...my brain still thinks like I got work every day, and a career... I gotta get fishin' up there on my priority list, I guess ! Haha!
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

I take it the white area in northern Arizona and New Mexico is from a lack on information, not that it doesn't snow on that side of the stateline.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Well, North-western Montana just got a new batch of snow Sunday into Monday, broke a lot of state records...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sagefisher, The local DNRs might not be to enthused about restocking those ponds until they know they'll stay filled for several years. It takes a few years for a good population of bass and bluegills to become established in a pond when you're starting from scratch.

Looking decent; a lot more blues and greens.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I live up in NW Montana and we are looking at the most snow since 1996 still on the ground.

+ Reply to Thread