Thread: Western Snowpack 2017 (so far)

Threaded View

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, Larry... I been watching too. In my neck of the woods, extreme N.E. CA high desert, we've gotten more snow this year than the past 5 or so put together. It has remained quite cold since the first snow in Dec., so it's soaking into the aquifer slowly, as it should. Been getting medium to heavy rain this past week, and below 5000ft it's melting fast. Moving in the right direction, though. We're gonna need a few consecutive wetter years to heal things properly, though. One concern I have is the many remote ponds and lakes that used to support good populations of bass and catfish have gone bone dry several summers in a row. I don't know who originally stocked these waters, but somehow I think it was not the Fish & Game boys. Regardless of that, at least a few generations of fisherman got the bug, and often put food on the table from these waters.... Now, most of them have nothing but mosquitoes. Is there any hope they will be restocked once normal water levels stabilize, I wonder. .... Dan ModocDan
    Last edited by modocdan; 02-06-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "