+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Fly Tying Vise stem holder for granite bases

Hybrid View

Default Looking for Fly Tying Vise stem holder for granite bases

I've built some fairly nice quartz and granite fly tying vise bases that I've trimmed out in oak and brazilian ipe, etc. I've donated a couple each year to our local TU chapter banquet as raffle prizes.
    I've managed to acquire a few steel and brass collets for holding the vise stem from some local machinists, but I was wondering if anyone knew where I might buy these commercially?
    Would be nice if I could find someone who knows where I can obtain the metal collets for these bases.
    A lot of the granite bases I see for sale are also rough-looking chunks, but I can cut these to size with a good wet saw blade (really slow), Drill them out and then trim them in hardwood for a nice finished appearance.

bases.jpg

Thanks,
    -Bill

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hi Bill... As a machinist & metal fabricator, I got lots of stuff from these guys.... Good place to start, at least..... Dan
    www.mscdirect.com
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Thx, I did find those earlier. But a little pricey. If I was making just one for myself, it'd be ok, but if making a bunch it would be too expensive. Cheers.

Haven't a clue about the collet, but the stand is really cool!!
    I've seen bases made with the granite but un-edged ... just the raw rough broken edge, finished off with epoxy.

Dan, I had a ball cruising your "mscdirect" pages!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

This might have some possibilities. Might be able to use a set screw coupling with a metal sleeve that's anchored into the base and into the bottom of the coupling using epoxy. Thx

I make my own holders using bronze bushings (3). It will still cost you about $20.00, perhaps less after looking at the site Betty provided.

bushings.jpg DSCF7324.jpg
    Last edited by iaflyfisher; 02-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    iaflyfisher

http://www.thegranitefly.com is where I saw the "Natural" bases. I love them, but there's no way I can afford what he charges. He may give you a heads up as to where he gets his collets? Yes, that did end with a "?", because I don't know him, other than through his bases.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Credit where credit due ... Modocdan was the one who provided the "mcdirect" site. I just fond it really fun to visit! Things like that absolutely fascinate me!

I found some set screw collets and bronze bushings at local Ace Hardware store. I drilled out a test piece with a 7/16 bit and was able to fit the bushing in nicely. $12 for a new drill bit and ~$6 for the brass and bronze parts.
    Thanks for all your ideas, folks!

+ Reply to Thread