+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Float of a Dun

Hybrid View

There are fly patterns such as the 'Waterwisp' that are tied in reverse with the hook eye at the tail. It would be easy enough to tie up some examples and fish them side by side with a conventional pattern to see if it made a difference. My guess is the fish don't care much about the wing presentation as much as they do about drag.

For my money's worth the strike triggers (or lack of strike if you get them wrong) in order of importance are:

1. Stealth - if the fish see you you have lost have the battle. Slap a cast hard on the water and it's game over for a while.
    2. Natural Movement, this = drift for a dry fly. Any micro drag alerts fish to an impostor.
    3. Profile - the outline and overall shape. Fat body vs thin body, upright wing vs spent wing, float low vs float high, legs vs no legs.
    4. Size - some times changing to a smaller or larger fly makes all the difference.
    5. Color - some times just the right shade counts, olive grey vs olive. Sometimes an attractor color works (red, orange or some flash)

then way down on the list...

23. Fly facing upstream or downstream. Not to be confused with 'right side up vs upside down' (ruins profile) or 'Moves upstream vs down stream' (ruins natural movement)

Well said Kengore! I can barely see the post on my fly. I'll just blame all mistakes of presentation on Micro currents.
    God Bless America

The current issue of Fly Tyer magazine (Spring 2017 issue) has a 'Reverse Moose Mane Mayfly' pattern that looks like a nice easy tie for anyone wanting to put theory to the test. See page 28. Note: hard copy version, not the on-line web page.

Blog Entries

Kengore,
    My mention of the direction of the drift presumes you are using the correct fly;I.e., size, shape, color, etc. those are givens as we are usually trying to match the hatch......whether before, during, or after it.

Since a lot of books I have read, which have studied what the trout sees as it enters their field of vision, indicates it is usually the wing tips (as the fist to enter their "window") seems to me, that it would be best if the fly were facing toward the awaiting trout. Just seems to me, anyway.

If I were back in my youth, I would consider snorkeling (in a wet suit, of course) to watch the trout.....as Gary LaFontaine did. I think even Charlie Brooks did some of that, although I think Brooks was more looking at nymphs and their underwater behavior.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-19-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post
    The current issue of Fly Tyer magazine (Spring 2017 issue) has a 'Reverse Moose Mane Mayfly' pattern that looks like a nice easy tie for anyone wanting to put theory to the test. See page 28. Note: hard copy version, not the on-line web page.
    That pattern looks like a b**ch of a tippet twister. Don't think I'll be fishing one soon.

Chuck

Having "exposed" my fly tying credentials earlier ( many times), those that know, KNOW from whence I come. A spent fly falls into the water in a totally random directional orientation if not on "impact" then certainly a moment later with current effect. So WHY lose sleep over tying in any particular supposedly more attractive orientation. I'm a simple man and acknowledge that I may be missing something here but................

Mark

Blog Entries

Thanks Marco. I mentioned that I was talking about duns......

I would offer up that emerging duns or most often carried downstream in the film tail first. When emerging, the portion of the fly stuck in the film or below the film at times is the shuck. At that point the dun itself is along for the ride. I often see them drifting tail first as they struggle to pull free. As they pull free to open up and dry, more often than not, their first position on the water is tail downstream.

+ Reply to Thread