+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any experience with book?

Default Any experience with book?

Kathy Scott's DVD is recommended for the novice, and there is an overwhelming amount of online information about furling. Does anyone have experience with the following book, Furled Leaders: All of the secrets behind creating fly fishing's best leader? http://www.amazon.com/Furled-Leaders.../dp/0982736800 It offers plans for a furling jig, leader formulas, etc. geared primarily toward a beginner. It appears to be a one stop shop to get someone started with some room to explore other leader adjustments. However, I am wondering how well his leaders perform based on the formulas provided? If no experience with aforementioned, what would you suggest to get started in-terms of a furling jig, formulas, etc.? I primarily utilize nymphs for trout. Thanks.

Ron

Unlike many other furlers, I've never seen Kathy's DVD. I know it's good based on conversations I've had with others who have it. I did however start learning from this book. In my opinion I would go with Kathy's DVD before this book. It will give you a foundation on how they are made, but I wasn't satisfied with any depth on anything else. It's been several years since I even looked at the book, but from what I remember it doesn't give any detail on tapers for anything other than a basic leader.

Tight lines
    Brandon

A lot of Praise for Kathy's DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    A lot of Praise for Kathy's DVD.
    If I make the furling jig according to directions provided on Kathy's DVD, what length of leader can be made and what conditions would it be utilized for? Do you suggest to make the jig longer to begin with? Is there a reference to use as a means to set up peg positions, etc. on how to make other types of leaders based on her approach? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJD31 View Post
    If I make the furling jig according to directions provided on Kathy's DVD, what length of leader can be made and what conditions would it be utilized for? Do you suggest to make the jig longer to begin with? Is there a reference to use as a means to set up peg positions, etc. on how to make other types of leaders based on her approach? Thanks.
    I have Kathy's dvd and with a little help from Jack I made my board to make either 5 or 7 footer's
    But a little info help start off using some cheap sewing thread till you get the hang of it
    The fishing was good it was the catching that was bad

If you want to start out with thread, go to the nearest Joann Fabric store and get a spool of this:

http://www.joann.com/coats-andamp-cl...hread&start=26

You can practice with this and make leaders you can fish with. One spool will make over 50 6'6" leaders. I like the bright colors and no, they don't spook the fish. Electric yellow is my favorite color. I fish a thread leader of that color 90% of the time.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Default How I built one.....

I am busy packing to re-locate for six months. Do not have time to find out details for you on my stuff. But, I built mine on I think you call them 1" by 6" boards in 8' lengths. I used Kathy Scott's video and calcuated the percentages she used for a leader. Then I marked the 2 boards for various lengths. 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, and 6.5'.

Painted one white. Painted the other black. Put them together and drilled on a drill press boaf at the same time I think. Anyway.....then reversed them end to end and screwed them together. So the holes did NOT match up. Thus each hole on a side has a positive stop when you insert a peg. I went to the local archery club and got a bunch of 5-8" various lengths of scrap graphite arrow pieces. They throw them away when they make arrows. I think they work perfectly for furling. The thread slides off of them easily.

It is so easy to count 2...2.5...etc in your mind to set the pegs for any given leader...I have not even marked the holes.

I happen to have a basement where the overhead rafters are exposed. So my last post....the one you shrink down to....I put a piece of dowel inside of it and installed a cup hook. When done spinning, I just lift the board up and set it on the floor with the top leaning forward on one of the rafters. Therefore it tilts forward....allows the leader to hang freely and sping away.

One side is for light colored threads and the other side is for dark colored threads. Works for me....maybe will work for others....
    just info...for what ever good it might be

jim

For a reely good furling machine look at www.eclecticangler.com he makes some very nice machines.

I have the fore mentioned book on my bookshelf; it is my go to book when introducing Furling to others.

But some very good free information is now available on www.eclecticangler.com

+ Reply to Thread