+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youtube tying videos, who do you watch ??

Default Youtube tying videos, who do you watch ??

Been poke'n around on YT lately to gather some ideas but theres so many good videos (for what I know anyway) it made wunder whos videos do y'all (being wise and all knowing to tying) watch ??

Like to find some channels to subscribe to thats clear,concise and informative with their tying skills, dig me some learn'n.

thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

I'm addicted to many, but don't meet your criteria of "all knowing".
    The biggies are David McPhail, Hans Weilenmann, Marc Pettijean, Dave Hughes, Bob Jacklin, Shane Stalcup, etc., etc.and others.

One you might not hear about, but is down-to-earth and a really good, clear instructor is Aaron Arrick of Arrick's
    fly shop in West Yellowstone. He demonstrates some basic fish catching patterns

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXylZh33A0
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-02-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Being neither wise nor all knowing, I will still offer an opinion.
    There are so many talented tyers put their skills and knowledge out there for any interested soul that I tend to look for particular styles or types of flyes instead of particular tryers as a rule. I try to seek out tyers and patterns from different parts of the world or species that I don't generally pursue to see if I can find ideas I can adapt to my situation. Among some of my favourite tyers are Niklaus Bauer and Andreas Andersson, but there are many great tyers willing to share!

Thanks guys, much needed input.

You mention flies from other parts of the world, my thoughts are that anything hungry will try a variety of offerings, learned this from predator hunting , even tho theres no jack rabbits in TN a coyote dont know that, hes hungry and hears something that sounds like a easy meal and decides to go for it.

I always figured fish have some what the same instinct, when they get hungry its time to eat, the fly might look like a bug or fish from another planet but to the fish its an easy meal.

Plus the fact its different may make it more productive, always heard fish get wise to the same ole same ole, but I never asked one to find out.
    Last edited by BR-549; 01-02-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Hans Weilenmann - perfect flies every time; a master of thread control and proportions, never an extra thread wrap where it's not needed.
    Davie McPhail - see above
    Craig Mathews - quick, easy flies proven to catch fish in/around the Yellowstone area (where I do a lot of my fishing), and pretty much anywhere else you'd find trout.

These three are my favorites, but there are lots of other good tyers out there, as we'll.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Quote Originally Posted by BR-549 View Post
    ......... Like to find some channels to subscribe to thats clear,concise and informative with their tying skills, dig me some learn'n.

thanks in advance.
    Give tightline video a look...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=S...ideo+fly+tying

intheriffle
    flyfishfood
    frankenfly

+ Reply to Thread