+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beads needed HELP!

1. Default Beads needed HELP!

Looking for some Spirit River Brite beads in Black 1/8.

Someone here got me some before but I have used em up.
    Use em a lot for these as pictured (Caddis Larva)
    My own design!!

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Jim,
    Nice looking Caddis larva! Have you tried using jelly cord (stretchy rope) from Joann?s Fabric yet? It does a nice job on these types of fly?s because you can really stretch it to get a good taper and because it is round it shows segmentation very well. As for the beads I have been able to get them from my local fly shop. Good luck.
    Eric.

[This message has been edited by eborden (edited 05 March 2005).]

Jim, Are the beads your after made of tungsten? If so then Cabela's has tungsten beads in 4 colors of nickel, copper, black and gold and of course in all the sizes including the 1/8 inch. This may be a good substitute for your needs.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

Blog Entries

Angler's Workshop (www.anglersworkshop.com) has black chrome beads @ $1.65/25. I use em on my buggers and such. Much nicer than the flat black beads found elsewhere, and MUCH cheaper than spirit river beads. Al Beatty might have bright black beads, but you would have to ask him. Good prices there, too.

beadshop (like for necklaces and such) anywhere near you? I got 200 beads for a buck. Nice fly

Gardenfish,
    Are those metal or glass?

ducksterman, they are glass. The owner said she gets lots of fly fishing folks in here shop. Harlequin Bead Shop in Eugene, Oregon. Got some tiny plastic ones good for #16 and smaller flies as well. Fun tying with the mix of assorted colors. So, try a bead shop if there is one in your area.

Gardenfish, you going to the Eugene fly tying expo????...maybe you ty there????

ducksterman, I will visit the expo. I have relatives coming so I do not know how long I will stay. Tying? lol! I enjoy tying, but my flies look like a car at a demoliton derby. Maybe someday. I hope to me some FAOL and Westfly folks at the expo.

Go Ducks!

Battenkill Jim,

COOL FLY!

Being new to tying, I've never heard of Spirit River Beads. If the beads you are using are glass; I just picked up a mixed pack of solid black, Clear brown, and clear golden(I was thinking stoneflies) for around 2$ at a craft store called Michael's. A lot of beads for not much cash.
    As eborden said, try some jelly cord if you haven't already. After hearing about it here at FAOL I went and got some, nice and stretchy and easy to work with. Good luck.

Oh, one silly question. Is the hook for your caddis larva originally shaped that way or did you bend it?

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

+ Reply to Thread