+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Pants....

Default Rain Pants....

I want to get some rain pants, for heavy rain. I now live in CA Bay Area.

I'd like something breathable, b/c I would be walking a lot in them, not necessarily at a fast clip, but I won't be standing on a cold boat in them.

Any suggestions? Maybe also what to look for and consider?

thanks
    Mark

Blog Entries

Land's End, L.L.Bean, Cabela's all sell rain pants (and matching jackets) for hikers. The better ones are breathable, though you wouldn't want to run or cycle in them.
    If they need to be really really waterproof, go for something worn by yachties or commercial fishers
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

We bought my dad a set of frog toggs to keep in his golf bag that held up very well for the price. They lasted several years until his health ended the golfing. they were still in good enough shape to pass on to my brother( the only one they might have fit) when he didn't want them any more
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

My best ones, by far, are an old pair of Simms breathable waders that I cut the feet off.

I keep a pair of Frogg Toggs bibs in the boat for those times it starts off at 75 in the morning and then drops to 50 when a t-storm rolls in. A rain coat just isn't enough then, but I hate wearing waders when it's warm. They work well.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

I've got a pair of Columbia rain pants that go in my daypack when I'm hiking; the times I've needed them they work fine. Had a p.o.s. Frogg Togg jacket (must have been one of their early attempts since folks seem to like them now); absolutely worthless from day one. Never even tried the pants that came with it.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    My best ones, by far, are an old pair of Simms breathable waders that I cut the feet off.
    I did the same with a pair of Orvis!

frogg toggs! bretheable, cheap and compact.

I have a pair of Patagonia rain pants that have lasted a long time and breathe well. I have used them for fishing trips, football games, and when I use the snow blower.

It is nice to have a pair with zippers on the legs which make it easy to get the pants on and off with boots on. Breathability is important if you are going to be doing a lot of walking.

My brother-in-law had a Cabela's rain parka and pants set that he used when he, my sister, myself, my dad and mom went hiking in the rain while camping. He was the only one of us that was dry. When I moved out on my own, a couple of years later, and could afford a set, I bought a set for myself. Since I have not been camping after moving out on my own, I have not had much use for the pants, I'm not entirely sure where they've gotten to, but I have been using the parka all these years. I have had it 20 years and still going, although one snap is missing and the exterior has been showing its age for a little while now. Still keeps me dry and being breathable, I don't sweat bad in it unless its hot out. These would be approx. the equivalent Cabela's pants to what I bought 20 years ago:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...2580|104091480

Now that you mention it, since Cabela's is going to get bought out by BPS, I might pick up another parka.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread