+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Davy Knot thought/opinions ....

Default Davy Knot thought/opinions ....

I use a lot of 6x, 6.5x and 7x tippet when fishing. I have been using the Orvis knot for about 7 years. No problems with it at all. I saw a video of the Davy knot and it looks like it would be easier to tie and also looks like it would have a smaller knot. Does anyone here fish the Davy knot? What are your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

greg

I use it all the time, that and the double Davy.

Like any other knot you have to test it when done.

Not hard to miss putting the end through the right way but if the tail end sits at 90 degrees and holds it is good to go.

It has been a winner for me.

I use it because I can tie it very quickly. I'm also primarily fishing tailwaters with small midges on light tippet. I agree that you must test the knot, but I can't say that I've had many failures at the knot itself.

I use it on all my flies except streamers.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by gqualls View Post
    I use a lot of 6x, 6.5x and 7x tippet when fishing. I have been using the Orvis knot for about 7 years. No problems with it at all. I saw a video of the Davy knot and it looks like it would be easier to tie and also looks like it would have a smaller knot. Does anyone here fish the Davy knot? What are your thoughts/opinions?
    I have been using the Orvis knot for quite awhile. I think it's easier to tie than the DK and at least as strong.

Bill Nash, the late West Coast knot guru, found some flaw with the DK and stopped recommending it. He preferred the Orvis knot or the non-slip loop.

I use the double Davy knot quite a bit. I have had problems with the single Davy knot slipping, especially if the wire of hook eye is large relative to the size of the tippet. The Davy knot depends on a small wire hook for it to cinch up properly. I found it a little fiddly to tie until I came up with a method of weaving the tag end of tippet through to form the knot.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I have been using the Orvis knot for quite awhile. I think it's easier to tie than the DK and at least as strong.

Bill Nash, the late West Coast knot guru, found some flaw with the DK and stopped recommending it. He preferred the Orvis knot or the non-slip loop.
    Bill Nash's comment on issue with Davy knot

http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchiv...arch200703.php

Also see tedshuck's comment

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    Bill Nash's comment on issue with Davy knot

http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchiv...arch200703.php

Also see tedshuck's comment
    Thanks. I thought I had read it on Blanton's board. I seem to remember another thread where he was a little more critical of it.

I did not see tedshuck's comment, but maybe I don't know how to navigate on that board. (I despise the "threaded" format they use.)

Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions. I will be testing this knot in the next couple of weeks. I will probably start with the double Davey knot and got from there. I primarily fish a tailrace with either a #22 or #24 midge, or a dry/dropper. What appeals to me is how quickly this knot can be tied as well as the strength.. Hopefully it will be as easy when the temps are cold and the hadns are numb.

use Orvis knot the most. IF I tie a DV knot, I'll tie a double DV knot; I've had failures when test tying single DV knot. DV knot recommended for small size tippets only and the 90 degree tippet end on the hook eye

+ Reply to Thread