+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carp in December

Default Carp in December

Carp in this lake feed between 1:00pm & 3:00pm. I hooked2 today and lost 3 the day before. My fingers had stopped moving when I hooked this one!

Rod: Fenwick, fiberglass 6'10", three piece, 7 wt.

Reel :semi-automatic Peux Fulgor

Last edited by Bill-B'klyn; 12-09-2016 at 05:08 AM.

Nice corn fly!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Nice fish. My water is hard now.

Rick

I also find your corn fly to be very interesting. What did you use for the pieces of corn?

Jim Smith

I make nothing. I don't tie flies. What you are looking at is standard carp fishing equipment that I put together. The corn is standard carp fishing device. It is made by a company called Enterprise Tackle. It could probably be replicated by going to a craft store and looking for some type of foam. I fished for carp with an Orvis guide who substitute a yellow kitchen sponge for this corn. the problem with that is that it would absorb water and stop floating eventually. I believe the hook and tippet are called "quickstop hair rig, carp method, made by a company called Drennan (English). I get them online at e Bay but you can learn how to tie these yourself after watching a few youtube videos on tieing hair rigs. when you can not see carp in the water but you know they are there, this works. the beauty of this type of fishing for carp is that you can catch carp in about an hour (after chumming). If I don't have a take in 20 minutes I move to another part of the lake. after an hour or so return to the spot you left and repeat the process.

Not your typical fly fishing outfit for carp on the fly, more like fishing for carp with a fly rod.

never claim it was traditional fly fishing . It is a way to catch carp when fishing in situations where sight fishing is not possible. I have caught carp using standard trout flies which some may view as fly fishing for carp without using carp flies. my goal is to show different ways to use a fly rod to catch fish.

Keep catching 'em, Bill.

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread