+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you tried methamphetamine

Hybrid View

Default Have any of you tried methamphetamine

or fiberglass fly rods? Judging by my experience with the latter, both are highly addictive.

In a dark room a group of slightly grizzled but strangely serene people are sitting in a circle. After a long silence, one begins to speak.

"My name is Pillcaster, and I am a glassaholic."

"Hello Pillcaster", the group responds.

Pillcaster begins "My story is fairly typical, it all started with the gateway glass, Cabela's CGR. Everybody says "glass is so great" and "hey, they are 50% off!". So, I tried one. It was great. Smooth, slow rhythm, and what a blast with a fish on. Than I got another. Then they reduced the price to $50, so I had to try another. I was travelling with my wife and we passed a Cabelas store, and I had to stop. They had the 2wt, I didnt have the 2wt! My wife said "another flyrod?" I knew she may soon learn the truth about how bad I was jonesing. Finally she got this look on her face that said "at least he's not collecting Ferrari's or redheads", and that's how she started enabling. So now I have 5 CGR's, have ordered a Steffen, and all I want to do is go fishing."

The room fell silent. Finally the leader says "Would anyone else like to share?"

If you do, no judgement.
    Last edited by pillcaster; 11-26-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Are you a pusher? I think you are trying to hook us all.

I have it on good authority, Santa is working on plans to slide a cabelas 4/5 wt. down the chimney in about a month. It's a 3 piece shouldn't be a problem. I haven't fished a glass since a friend loaned me an old Eagle Claw that required a complete rewrap prior to 1979.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

pillcaster,

The best thing you can do for yourself is to give up your addiction. You do that by giving some of us all your fly rods. I will PM you my address if you want.

Enjoy the cast.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Yeah, I tried a couple of fiberglass rods. Turns out a couple of trials just didn't do it for me.

So I had to do some more extensive research on which I am still working

My current research tools included:

Eagle Claw Featherlight 7' 6wt
    7' 3wt built on a Lamiglass Honey blank
    6'6" 4wt built on a Lamiglass Honey blank
    Cabelas CGR 7'6" 5/6wt
    Cabelas CGR 7'6" 7/8wt
    7'6" 4pc 6wt built on a Kennedy Fisher Blank
    8' 5wt built on a Kennedy Fisher Blank
    Scott F-81 8' 6wt
    Phillipson 8' 8wt Epoxite
    Phillipson 7' SF70 5 or 6wt Swamp Fox
    Russ Peak 7'6"
    Walton Powell 7'6"
    Walton Powell 9"

I fear I started my oldest son on a similar path. After starting him years ago on a Cabelas 3 forks, he progessed to a GLoomis Guide, then to an Orvis bamboo and two years ago to glass Started him on the CGR 4 wt and he preferred that rod to all others. ended up buying both my sons the 5/6 wt.s for Christmas this year.
    What have I done.
    it's all good drifts

Blog Entries

Well, if they read any posting on FAOL now they know what they are getting for Christmas.

Good choice for gifts.

Larry ---sagefisher---

It started with a 5 weight blank. A harmless, no named rod from a now defunct dealer. Just a way to have fun, to pass some time.

But then that five led to a four weight. I mean, I heard so many good things about that blank, and at that price... Spigot ferrules!

Soon I found myself holding a one weight blank.

Although I'm not as deep into this as you, rest assured, you are not alone.
    Isaiah 41:10

2 Phillipsons, a Royal and a Royal Wand
    One Orvis Golden Eagle
    The Lamiglas 4wt that my father built for me in '72
    One Conolon and two Gracia/Conlon
    One LLBean (H-I)
    5 Fenwicks
    2 Wright&McGills
    One Cortland (StCroix)
    3 Heddons
    A JCHiggins (Sears)
    ... probably a few more

Graphite's just a passing fad
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hi, group. I'm a Swamp Witch, with some royal bending. I am also a glass-aholic. I know I should be recalcitrant, but, I'm not. No, no ... please don't boo me. I have more glass than graphite anymore. And, two more on order, but, they're blanks ... does that make it any better? No, I was afraid not. It's just that when glass gets in your blood ... gawd! Your eyes glass over! Your heart beats really fast! There's nothing else like it! Please, someone bar the door! I really need help! You'd think my life partner, my husband of 48 years of all people, would at least help me with this habit. But, no, all I get there is his wanting another rod, too. I think I may be too far gone. Think I'll sit waaay back there in the corner of the swamp ... and get ideas for MORE glass rods!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread